Powerbook G4

Mr. Patman

Im currently in the market for laptop, nothing like a desktop replacement, but nice just the same. Im am very interested in the Apple PowerBook G4's and was wondering what all you guys thought about them. I saw a few nice deals on ebay for the G4's w/ 15" widescreens. Im a Windows user myself but receantly have been playing around with a friend of mine's apple powerbook and was really impressed. What are your thoughts? Pat :-)

You DO know that Apple just released the Macbook Pro and discontinued the Powerbook G4? The new laptops are using Intel's Duo Core processor and are supposedly much faster than the G4 processor. Go to Apple's website and check out the new laptops. They have a bunch of new features, not to mention the fact that they're really thin and light.

Oh yea, now that they're running on Intel processors, you'll probably be able to run Windows programs in OSX via emulation, or possibly even natively (don't quote me on that one). From what I've heard, Apple's emulation program Rosetta has been doing a pretty good job running old PowerPC programs on the new x86 platform, with only minor drops in performance. If they start emulating Windows programs in OSX, then I'm sure performance wouldn't be too shabby.

Im not really looking to put windows on it, i wanted to fimiliarize myself with the workings of OSX. As for macbook's, im really not liking how they are using Intel Proc's first of all, and secondly, there just not as nice as the powerbooks. My budget isint really low. I can vouge for maybe a 1200 book at most. Pat :-)

Edit: The MacBook's use DDR2, if i was going for the latest and greatest I would wait for something with DDR3. DDR and DDR2 really dont vary much for the increased price.

Also, im not nessecarily looking to buy new (hence the ebay comment). So MacBook Pro probably isint an option.

Pat :-)

Edited by Mr. Patman

i probably wouldn't suggest buying a ppc based mac. THe new software will take a bit to be released for the new intel-based, but they will eventually phase out the older software and updates, leaving you with an obsolete brick, almost like a windows 95 box.

So, I'd personally wait for the new MacBook, rather than getting a used ibook or a new MacBook Pro (unless you want it now and have the ducats to spend).

Or I'd just get a PC laptop. If it's the inner workings of OSX, that is a unix based system, most of which you can still learn about via a linux distro.