Recommended Power Supplies List

Should we add the Thermaltake Litepower 450w PSU to the list because it seems to have good reviews from OCC and Hardware Secrets?

Yep, good reviews. I'm not sure how good availability is though. I checked a few popular online stores and couldn't find it for sale.

That was only a quick check mind you.

I try to make sure the list contains units you can still buy (if anyone notices some that are no longer available, please let me know).

can i just cut to the chase scene here?

my next machine will have at least 1000 watts minimum, more would be better...

my price range is $200-$250... and i need clean, consistent power

what are my best options?

Corsair AX1200W but it's a little more than you wanted to spend but highly recommended.

Do you really need 1000W plus? I'm all for more is better but there are some excellent 750~850W units out there if they'll do the job?

Do you want single or multi 12V rail?

Some of the Enermax units are probably worth a look although I've no first hand knowledge.

Corsair AX1200W but it's a little more than you wanted to spend but highly recommended.

Do you really need 1000W plus? I'm all for more is better but there are some excellent 750~850W units out there if they'll do the job?

Do you want single or multi 12V rail?

Some of the Enermax units are probably worth a look although I've no first hand knowledge.

1 or 2 rails is good paulk...thanx for responding brah

Added 80Plus Platinum Certification level to notes (Platinum rated PSUs must reach efficiencies of 90% - 92% - 89% @ 20% - 50% - 100% loading respectively. Also PFC of 0.95 must be reached at 50% loading).

Added Note regarding units not on the list in list introduction

Edited by jammin

Removed Antec Earthwatts 380, 430 and 500W - replaced with Delta made models (a while ago actually, ending in "D").

Removed NeoHE 380W - Getting on a bit and no reliable evidence for inclusion on the list.

Added Antec Earthwatts 380D Green - review data here

Added Corsair AX 750 - review data here

Added Antec TruePower New 550W - review data here

Added Seasonic X-460W Fanless - review data here - Expensive. Only if you must have silence!

Removed Silverstone Nightjar ST45NF Fanless 450W - very difficult to recommend with the introduction of Seasonic X-400 and X-460 fanless models.

Removed CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1000W - Older design since surpassed by newer models.

Added CoolerMaster Silent Pro M1000 - review data here

Removed Ultra X3 1000W - Older design since surpassed by newer options.

Added Enermax Modu 87+ 600W & 700W, Pro 87+ 500W, 600W & 700W - review data here

Edited by jammin

What about the following PSUs:

PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 500 W - Review

Seventeam ST-650PWL - Review

Akasa Essential Power 300 W - Review

Fit enough for the list?

I don't know about their availability on newegg but it will be good to have them on the list anyway (if they are worthy) for those who do have an opportunity to buy them where they live.

Yep, I have more reviews to read through, particularly now that more and more sites are using reliable testing methods in their reviews.

Also, I'm quite picky :lol:, so if I'm not sure I tend to leave units off (at least until more than one site has looked at them).

What do you think about the OCZ Fatal1ty 550 Watt? I see you have the 700 watt, though the review says it's not modular while the 550 watt version is modular; they don't appear to be very similar.

Edited by xxmastermushxx

Don't know a lot about the OCZ Fatal1ty 550 Watt. I do know it is a different platform than the 700W (at least from a quick bit of research, which also seemed to suggest it was OK but probably not great).

Anyway, got a bit of time to do some more research now. First additions are:

Added Corsair TX 850W V2 - review data here - Looks like a nice improvement over the old version :) - (unlike the newer CX's unfortunately :( )

Added KingWin Lazer Platinum 550W - review data here - The first platinum certified PSU on the list (it's a Super Flower platform, looks like this platform has some potential to be popular). Felt this one deserved a quiet label considering the fan didn't spin up until quite a bit of load was put on it, even in hotbox conditions. I usually wait for dB meter verification.

Added PCP&C Silencer MkII 500W - review data here

Added Akasa Essential Power 300W - review data here - A decent option for systems on a budget with low powered graphics (on board or without a PCIe power connector).

Added LEPA G 500W - review data here - note that this is basically an Enermax Modu 87+ 500W clone. Might be a bit cheaper than the Enermax branded variety though, so look out for it if you are considering that (note: 3 year warranty compared to 5 year on the Modu87+).

Edited by jammin