Raid 0+1, How Does It Work?

Psychotic_god

I heard that you can RAID 0+1 with two hard drives of the same size, brand, ect....and that you can make those two drives write on a third drive the size of the two combined drives, how does that work? Im not sure the facts and not behind this, I only heard it from a friend.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm...in my understanding there must be a Minimum of 4 Drives for this Configuration. AND requires twice the disk space. Nevertheless, it sounds difficult to understand this concept so..., under this presumtion I doubt that it would work.

Hm...in my understanding there must be a Minimum of 4 Drives for this Configuration. AND requires twice the disk space. Nevertheless, it sounds difficult to understand this concept so..., under this presumtion I doubt that it would work.

603816[/snapback]

Ok....cause I have two 80 gigs, and one 160gb, am I supposed to use the two in RAID-0 and use the third as a large storage?

Yes..I only know this as I have that set-up as well. I have 2-37G Raptors in Raid-0 and another Raptor 74G as my Music Library. (250+ CD's Ripped onto it)

**EDIT** Hypothetically Let's say if you were set-up that paticular Raid. This would not be a Raid 0+1. It would be considered a JBOD.

Edited by Psycho_Active

Ok....cause I have two 80 gigs, and one 160gb, am I supposed to use the two in RAID-0 and use the third as a large storage?

603819[/snapback]

ur total capacity wil be the siz of the smaller drive(x2) if you use raid 0, if you use raid 1 it would have to have the smaller drive as the main drive making the extra space on the larger drive useless.

Whao! RAID is extensive :blink:

603997[/snapback]

yes it is but raid is mainly used for server applications rather then PC use, but some raptors in raid 0 can seriously minimize the time it takes to load ur applications.... would not reccommend raid 1 though(unless u really want ur data backed to another HD in real time) because it slows down ur write times since it is writing to two hard drives at onece.

yes it is but raid is mainly used for server applications rather then PC use, but some raptors in raid 0 can seriously minimize the time it takes to load ur applications.... would not reccommend raid 1 though(unless u really want ur data backed to another HD in real time) because it slows down ur write times since it is writing to two hard drives at onece.

604014[/snapback]

Yeah, I knew I was gonna use raid-0, but I thought you might be able to then save the total data on the third drive. So wait, with my two 80 GB drives in RAID-0, my total HDD space is 60 GB or 160GB?