Looking For A Laptop!

Hey Guys,

This is going to be a lengthy one, so go grab a cold one. :D

I'm looking for a laptop, I'll be in looking to buy with in two months. I'm not looking for the best of the best.. Although I would like to have it, my wallet says different! :blink: I already have an extra monitor, keyboard, and mouse that I can plug into to check stuff out on a bigger screen.

I'm basicly looking for something to do word processing, email, webpage authoring, and some lower end games.

I've already checked out the usuals suspects: Dell, and Gateway. They don't have anything I really want.. When I added the extras the price went up over $2,500.00 which is okay, I just didn't get the feeling that I was getting the most bang for my buck! :angry:

Thank you for your help,

Dan

Im still unclear on what your question is, did you want advice on what kind of a laptop to buy.

if that is the case id say go with a compaq, other than that i dont do laptops so dont rely on my opinion too much. :D

As far as MS Office goes, I don't think Publisher has anything to do with web building. Frontpage only comes with the Developers edition of MS Office which is like $500. You can buy it individually for around $150+. That's for the whole new 2002 edition, the upgrade is about $90. So if your looking for a WYSIWYG editor, FrontPage is good but I prefer Macromedia Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver totally 0wns. Has a learning curve to it but once you get the just of the program you should be able to fly into it ok. If you only plan on doing more simple sites and design layouts than FrontPage would be the way to go.

Also on average, if you setup up a desktop PC and then compare the same thing to a labtop with the same setup, it's gonna cost quite a bit more. But since you're not going to be demanding too much for it you should be able to to find a decent system. Here is a decent setup. It's a Sony Vaio, 2Ghz P4, 512Ram, but depending on your meaning of "low-end gaming", because it comes with a Radeon 7500. 40GB HDD, well you can check it all out at the site. Personally I've never owned a Vaio, but I know a few friends who said they loved them.

Also I saw on TechTV, this show host had a Dell Inspireon (something like that) and within a few months his screen got flimsy. The hinge got worn out quick so the screen wouldn't hold in place, he'd have to stack stuff up behind it so the screen would rest on it. Just a word of advice.

I use dreamweaver mx.... but as far as I know Published is/was a web building tool...

I remember years ago when my brother got MS Office for like the first time on our 486

and he was makin a webpage and used Publisher... I remember being too young back

then and he wouldnt let me mess w/ it... I was like bah!!!

but hey, if I had a little brother now theres no way I'd let him on this bad boy :P

Thanx guys! I had seen on the M$ site, that publisher was used to do HTML work. I've been using FrontPage Express for a while though, and have gotten used to the program.. I'm open to DreamWeaver though. Anyone have a d/l link for a trial?

The Sony Vaio looks pretty good.. I've heard good things about Sony's Laptops..Price is decent.

I was looking @ the Dell Inpiron 2650C.. It comes with a Celeron Processor... So that's out!

Now I got the Inspiron 8200 up.. It's pretty good, I upgraded to a 2.0 Ghz processor. After all the addons it came to $2314.. 40GB HD.. Blah, Blah, Blah... Gotta pay $40 for a floppy.. I'm not buying a computer that I gotta pay extra for a 3.5 drive. :angry::angry:

Dan

Edited by DeeJay Dan