"holiday" Sale

Guest Flashstar

Guest Flashstar

I've noticed lately that more and more stores as well as schools are saying no to the word Christmas, instead referring to this popular time as a winter holiday or Winter break. I am distressed over this for many reasons. The first is that Christmas stuff is what most of these stores are selling. Also, Christianity is by far the largest religion in this country. What's wrong with saying the word Christmas anyway? It's not like it is bad or anything!!?? After all many stores and schools say Chanukah regularly. I can't remember one time in my life that teachers talked about Christmas, only other less common holidays like Chanukah. Am I going crazy or does it seem like people are trying to remove Christmas and anything associated with it from our daily lives? :blink:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes sense to call them Winter/Holiday Sales/Breaks, etc etc. Like lego said, Christmas just happens to fall during that time, just like Chanukah does. Schools don't give you off for a month because of Christmas...just like we don't call the summer break "Independence Day break" or "Father's Day break"

EDIT: Mr. Who, where the hell do you live, Iran? There are no jews in your area??!

Edited by ClayMeow

I am alright with "Holiday Sales," but the thing that gets me is when they try to silence Christmas by changing the vacation that you get on Dec 25 to "Winter vacation." I don't like it when they start saying "Holiday Tree". It's a CHRISTMAS TREE, and it has been a CHRISTMAS TREE since its beginning. The day you get off of work on Dec 25 is the day of CHRISTMAS, not the day of 'winter.' Do we call Martin Luther king Jr. Day "Late January Vacation"? Hell no. We call it Martin Luther King Jr. day because that's when he was born, just as we call the December 25 holiday "Christmas Day," because it is the (supposed) birthdate of Jesus Christ. Whether you are a christian or not, there is no hiding the fact that the reason you get December 25th off is because of the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ - you might as well accept it and live with it. You are more than welcome to reject christianity, but please, don't try to rewrite history.

I am alright with "Holiday Sales," but the thing that gets me is when they try to silence Christmas by changing the vacation that you get on Dec 25 to "Winter vacation."  I don't like it when they start saying "Holiday Tree".  It's a CHRISTMAS TREE, and it has been a CHRISTMAS TREE since its beginning.  The day you get off of work on Dec 25 is the day of CHRISTMAS, not the day of 'winter.'  Do we call Martin Luther king Jr. Day "Late January Vacation"?  Hell no.  We call it Martin Luther King Jr. day because that's when he was born, just as we call the December 25 holiday "Christmas Day," because it is the (supposed) birthdate of Jesus Christ.  Whether you are a christian or not, there is no hiding the fact that the reason you get December 25th off is because of the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ - you might as well accept it and live with it.  You are more than welcome to reject christianity, but please, don't try to rewrite history.

586315[/snapback]

We could debate the point of his supposed birthday, but I can't be bothered. It's late :P

It makes sense to call them Winter/Holiday Sales/Breaks, etc etc.  Like lego said, Christmas just happens to fall during that time, just like Chanukah does.  Schools don't give you off for a month because of Christmas...just like we don't call the summer break "Independence Day break" or "Father's Day break"

EDIT: Mr. Who, where the hell do you live, Iran?  There are no jews in your area??!

586309[/snapback]

I knew what Hanukka was just not Chanukah. And I don't think there's any jewish people in my town just the Amish.

Edited by Mr.Who?

i agree with lo, when i start hearing crap like holiday tree... well.. AHH

but then again, many of our christmas traditions are based on corporatinos trying to associate with the holiday.

for example.. why is santa clause dressed in red and white??