Blue Screen Of Death - Modem Blamed

fixtheprob

Just got a new PC with XP Pro pre-installed on it, upgraded from my old which has Me. Since setting up I have had a worrying number of blue screen crashes. The resulting error reports from Microsoft says its the ADSL modem drivers. I have an external modem that I used (without crashing) on my old PC which has been transferred to my new PC. BT Voyager who make them say it can't be the modem as it worked on the old PC, no problem. My ISP (Plus Net) say they don't have the technical know-how to advise, although they supplied the modem!!!

BT Voyager say it must be the new PC hardware or operating system that is corrupting the modem drivers.

My PC supplier (Dell) have run a check on my hardware (without the modem) and all turned out fine.

I have deleted and re-installed the modem drivers more times than I care to think, once with the guidance of BT Voyager themslves but it keeps crashing.

I am in the middle of a "can't be us" game. Any advise would be appreciated!

I've never heard of a DSL modem causing a BSOD, but...I...didn't know the DSL modems installed drivers on your computer either?? It may be something with XP pro internet services conflicting with your DSL service, but other than that I don't have a clue. Sorry.

Definetely use regular ethernet cable to connect your modem, USB isn't really designed to take the continual load of an internet connection, not a high-speed one. One time I had to use USB for my cable mode, it wasn't pretty. :P

No drivers are needed to use ethernet cable, you're eliminating more weak links right there.

yep that was the point i was going to make, which is why i asked the question.

Definately use the ethernet connection from modem to computer, you won't need any drivers or anything and u'll find that you should get better performance from ur internet.

Tells us how u get on.

ENJOY!

Just to check this out as I am in the process of learning PC talk, "by ethernet connection" do you mean getting a cable of Cat 5 standard for my phone/filter line to modem link (it certainly isn't that at present) or the link from modem to PC, which is the standard USB connection?

Update on what I have tried...

I disabled the onboard modem drivers in case there was a conflict but still got BSODs.

A subsequent BSOD gave me a new and additional error message "STOP 0x000000EA_THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)". This, I understand is video card related, so following the advice at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;293078 I have now turned my "harware aceleration" to zero.

...I'll see what happens!

Thanks for all the advice. Any further thoughts would be appreciated!

..also just found a scribbled copy of an error report from a BSOD "STOP 0x00000008E; 0xC0000005; 0xF63D5B77; 0xB6A98 648; 0x0000000, USB Port.sys-Address F63D5B77 base at F63CF000, Datastamp 41107d62"

..does this mean anyting to anyone?!

Edited by fixtheprob

• 2 weeks later...