What To Upgrade First For This Server

DrAwesomePhD

alright, well i might have money to upgrade one thing for my server computer. it currently has an intel celeron 2ghz and a 512mb of DDR 233mhz ram... (which is like what pc2100? @.@) anyway, thats what i got... which should i upgrade first for increased power as a gaming server? i wanna run DOD:S on it. also, if i do upgrade ram, should i leave the old ram in there? how do i set prioritiy to go to the faster ram first and the slow ram if needed? does that even make sense lol...

As far as I know you can't change teh priority of RAM.

You should only get faster RAM if your MOTHERBOARD supports it, because DDR400 RAM on a DDR 266baord is a waste, I would jsut research yrou baord and get maybe a gig stick and put it in there. depending on if its dual channel and the number of memory slots...

DDR 400 with a celeron is a waste... so either just grab more or look into a possible CPU upgrade. 2.6 celeron and more ram? or if it's in the budget, a new board/cpu/ram setup. idk, depends on what you want to spend...better yet, get soem decent ram for the P4 in your sig, PC2700 must be killing it :( and upgrade the server with the old ram....

i was reading that celerons overclcok really well... im actually running the system on an ASUS p4p800-e deluxe, which has 800mhz FSB, dual channel, the works...

I actually already upgraded my ram in my sig to PC 4400.. just havent updated sig...

Anyway.......................... i was reading that the celerons overclock like ANIMALS and was thinking maybe id overclock it to like 2.8ghz (ive seen a lot of ppl who have OCed to 3ghz on the stock HSF) and that will boost the FSB up a bunch and then get better ram to go with it (1gb PC3200 OCZ ram, 2x512 dual channel).....

edit: just checked the RAM and its PC2700 333mhz (my friend had it lying around and wasnt using it i figured it was crap, but i guess its just as good as what he has lol....wonder why hes not using it - oh well i wont tell him :devil:)

hows that sound?

Edited by DrAwesomePhD