Opteron Oc Results

Verran

Aha! Haven't beaten me yet in Sandra / SuperPi ... i think my best in SPi is 28.657s ... then again... those are bench stable results and i'm guessing your benches are fully stable oc's...

weird thing i found was occt could pass the torture test at 2.97 but would fail on the infinite test after about 9 hours or so (man how annoying is that, 9 hours to find out your not stable lol)

nice work so far... now i wanna see some ownage!

:( where the hell is MY opteron?! urg... i'll try not to cry...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aha! Haven't beaten me yet in Sandra / SuperPi ... i think my best in SPi is 28.657s ... then again... those are bench stable results and i'm guessing your benches are fully stable oc's...

weird thing i found was occt could pass the torture test at 2.97 but would fail on the infinite test after about 9 hours or so (man how annoying is that, 9 hours to find out your not stable lol)

nice work so far... now i wanna see some ownage!

:( where the hell is MY opteron?! urg... i'll try not to cry...

566975[/snapback]

Yeah, I won't bench anything that doesn't at least pass the 30min OCCT. Doing so is just a tease :P

But for the record, I was passing 1M at 3050ish (278) :)

I'm planning to drop the memory back to 1:2 again and see how this thing fairs at a 10x multi. I won't be actually using that anytime soon since my memory is pretty stretched as it is, but it will be nice to know where the ceiling is at 10x. I've got an nf4 upgrade on the horizon, so if 10x goes well I'll be weighing my options between some killer TCCD or redline :)

It looks like all I can get at stock voltage is a measly 2.85ghz :D . I'm gonna prime overnight. I'll pop in the other chip tomorrow.

img00043fn.th.jpg

Edit: Im getting temps of about 47-48C with a SLK-948U + Panaflo 90mm Medium speed fan (48cfm/30dba). These opterons definately run pretty hot compared to a Venice for example.

Edited by lilkev715

ok what are the overall expected clocks that can be obtained for those 3 diff steppings of opertons, i just might get mines off of monarch. i was telling my dad about how my cousin spend like $300 on a A64 4000 and that the operton is only like 220-240 and uses 20 watts less. hehe and 20 watts saved IS a big deal to him. ill tell em that it uses 20 watts less than my 3200 also :P

cheaper to buy and energy efficient... yeah! :D

how can that not convince him lol...

567285[/snapback]

:withstupid::lol: so yeah, what can i expect from the 3 diff cores though? hopefully i can get 2.6ghz with the crappiest one... but someone please explain :lol: well i gotta go to sleep though, its 12:22am.

As far as Sandra, I KNOW at one point I downloaded the free trial and it wouldn't work for me.  Maybe that was the burn in...  Does the free trial not support the Burn In testing?  I'm thinking that's what it was.  So yeah, I'll hit that download site you linked tonight and get more benches up after work.

I'm fairly certain the last free version to allow the burn in was 2004.9.9.133. It's the one I use, cause frankly, sandra is crappy for benchmarks, but the burn in tool is somewhat useful.

but I'm thinking I'll pick a speed on my CPU first.

Good plan. You will probably endup with more real world perfromance by lowering the memory speed a bit to fit the cpu than vice versa.

It looks like all I can get at stock voltage is a measly 2.85ghz :D . I'm gonna prime overnight. I'll pop in the other chip tomorrow.

img00043fn.th.jpg

567130[/snapback]

That's about where I got too, on stock volts. Right now, I've actually dialed mine down. I can get SuperPI stable at 3070ish with about 1.55v, but the highest I've gotten really really stable (12hrs of OCCT straight) is 2860 (260x11 @ 1.45v by CPU-Z). I just wanted to find a "fallback" point that I -KNOW- is 24/7 stable, and now I've got it. 260x11 1.45v 3-4-4-8-1T 2.85v is what I consider completely stable, so now I can make minor tweaks.

I've seen people posting these as high as 3.2 (same exact stepping as mine), but when I read more, they're either on prometia's, or not -really- stable. It's sad how many people consider SuperPI 1M as a final stability test.

I was really hoping this thing would break 3ghz, but it looks like that probably won't be the case, at least not with REAL stability and air cooling. Having said that though, I'm still having a blast with it! :P This thing still puts a goofy grin on my face :P

Edit: Im getting temps of about 47-48C with a SLK-948U + Panaflo 90mm Medium speed fan (48cfm/30dba). These opterons definately run pretty hot compared to a Venice for example.

567130[/snapback]

Yeah, I get about 48c absolute max temps at 1.45v with an XP-120 and a 130cfm Nidec fan, so I'd say they run a little toasty :) This chip just might be the one that makes me go to water :)

ok what are the overall expected clocks that can be obtained for those 3 diff steppings of opertons

567254[/snapback]

Well, you can see what I'm getting from my CABNE, which seems to be the best stepping by far. This thing can easily bench over 3, but seems more like it'll be 2.9ish for true stability and acceptable voltage/temps. People are saying the CABYE's will perform a little under that, and the CABGE's a little under that.

It would be great to know exactly what each will hit, but we all know that's not going to happen. Like we've already said, the chance of getting a CABNE is pretty much dead at this point, and the CABYE's seem to be going fast too. Most places are shipping the CABGE's, as far as I've read.

It seems like you're not very happy with your 30% overclock on your venice, but realistically I don't know how much better you'll do with either chip you're looking at. I mean you could always get lucky, but as a generalization, I'd bet you'll get roughly the same from both a 3700+ and a CABGE/YE.

There is something very cool about seeing "Opteron" at the POST screen though :P

First chip passed prime 95 for 20 hours before I stopped it to put in the second chip. Poped the second chip in, it looks like 2.88 is the limit for stock volts :D . Again I'm gonna prime overnight to make sure its stable. I would like to push more volts into the CPU, but I wont because of the temps I am getting.