Poor Performance

Hi,

I've recently upgraded my computer from an athlonxp2200+, abit nf7 to an athlon64 3000+(venice), abit ul8.

I installed my hardware and all was fine, until i booted up need for speed underground 2, and saw that my fps had dropped from the regular 42 to 38, when i had 42 fps on my old system, i had 4aa and 4af, now i have 2aa and 0af ..

Is there something ive done wrong here? I tried playing with my memory timings but nothing improved. Could it be my 3dcard drivers? I reinstalled already to the newest omegas.

(the performance in windows and non-gaming applications is great btw)

note: i havent formatted when i installed my new hardware, could this be the problem? I refused to format because i didnt want the hassle of backing up all of my files.

Thanks in advance.

There is a setting in your BIOS for AGP. By default these are usually set between 64-128MB. If your running a 128MB card which the 9800pro is, and you only have this setting at 64, your system is limiting your video card. I experianced the same issue when upgrading from my 9800pro to my x800, I saw 0 performace boost. After changing my BIOS setting to 256 it got a whole lot better^^

There is a setting in your BIOS for AGP. By default these are usually set between 64-128MB. If your running a 128MB card which the 9800pro is, and you only have this setting at 64, your system is limiting your video card. I experianced the same issue when upgrading from my 9800pro to my x800, I saw 0 performace boost. After changing my BIOS setting to 256 it got a whole lot better^^

552696[/snapback]

It was 256 all the time though, but it doenst matter anymore, i did a fresh install and my fps went from 38 to 57 :)

552696[/snapback]

AGP Aperture doesn't work that way. You don't have to set it to equal the RAM on your video card; in fact, the more RAM your card has, the less AGP Aperture size should be. There's a good explanation in the BIOS Optimization Guide at Adrian's Rojak Pot.

http://www.rojakpot.com/