Another Programing Challenge

lt_navvara

nope actually still doesnt work for me.....but i could have died again....

534123[/snapback]

..... yes...... internet....died.....AGAIN... then I unplugged the modem and both cables because I noticed how much of a mess someone had made of them all. They were all tangled. GRR!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiousity, why dont we do a challenge that can actually be useful? for example implementing a small, simple database progam that implements binary search trees and double linked nodes? At least that is useful lol. Thats actually something i had to do in my CPSC270 Data Structures class. It's written in C++ and is extrememly useful in Frequency Analysis of an unknown number of entries. :)

Anywayz, i honestly dont have time to try the challenge which is a shame cuz i love to program. However, i have classes and work from 8am till 10pm all week :) gotta love college... If im not in class or working, i'm doing homework or chill'n w/ my girl.

When you get the results though be sure to post them here cuz it will be interesing to see all the entries.

Yup link worked for me, but the program said

stat <in.txt>: No such file or directory

Press any key to continue...

534127[/snapback]

Yup. You need "in.txt" with all the words in there :P

"mister bates has caused an error while ordering his strings essay" put that in a file called in.txt and run it again. Should then make out.txt ...

friday too short of a deadline?

my bad, i've been thinking of changing it (when i realized that it was thursday)

so you have till monday 10:00 AM GMT i'll judge the submissions then. and on tuesday the winners will get the cookies. and i'm not doing this ust to show you how 'great' i am. i won't be competing here. i just wanted to offer a challenge and perhaps get the chance to steal some code :) (just kidding i won't do that)

i thought that the output files were pretty specific but it doesn't really matter if you insert a blank space or start a new line it's the same thing. i have only a few minor corrections:

-problem no1. if a string repeats itself only once then you shalt print the following message "this string has no repetitions" or something along the line of what i've just said

-problem no2 it doesn't matter if the imput has carriage returns or not, when you read from a file you get the same effect if it were just a single line of strings separated by blank spaces

i expect tot try your best at both problems. you don't have to do any of them and they count as much in the final decision. winners will be decided by the following criteria: "the one who has solved more problems than the rest shall be the winner, if there is a tie then the forum decides". i hope that you will solve all the problems and leave this tough decision for the forum.

scoring will be done by the following criteria:

solve one problem you get a cookie, solve two and you get two. the winner (the forum shalt decide in case of a draw) gets another cookie

i plan to offer a challenge like this every week. so the next one will start on monday right after this challenge ends. of course there will be some sort of scoring. take this like a championship of sorts. the absolute winner will win a prize. i haven't thought of the prize yet, but it will be a prize none the less.

if anyone want's to submit their own problems go ahead., i'll give you credit for that. be warned though that you won't be allowed to solve your own problems

and i won't be participating in any of my challenges. i wouldn't be fair

and now, let's see what i didn't explain properly in this post

Yes, I got that much :P

But must it turn out.. sorta.. equal

aabaab = aab

aabaaba = ??? aab again? or aabaaba? because of the last a?

534687[/snapback]

Well the substring repeats itself so i dont see why it wouldnt be aab again...

534693[/snapback]

So, what I am asking is which lt_navaara see's as correct? Should the program return aab or aabaaba for that example......

I don't seem to be getting any where fast with my simple question :)

EDIT: And another one I need to know the answer to...

blahblahmoomoomoo

I would be right in thinking that should find "moo" and not "blah"? because moo repeats 3 times and blah only 2?

it would be blahblahmoomoomoo because none of the substring s moo and blah repeat themselves throught the entire lenght of the main string

i have yet to receive any submissions, i wonder if there will be any considering all the wining i've received so far. maybe this challenge was too tough for occ

Edited by lt_navvara

it would be blahblahmoomoomoo because none of the substring s moo and blah repeat themselves throught the entire lenght of the main string

i have yet to receive any submissions, i wonder if there will be any considering all the wining i've received so far. maybe this challenge was too tough for occ

536263[/snapback]

Right, cool. If that's the case, I think I have also already done the first program too then.... I shall check it later on (just now woke up)

I think you'll find I have done the second program on the first day you posted actually. That one at least was dead easy. I was waiting around for you to answer my question about the first program...

EDIT:

Program #1:

http://bone.bone.servebeer.com/lt_1_1.zip

Program #2:

http://bone.bone.servebeer.com/lt_1_2.zip

Pretty sure that's what you wanted them to do, although I can't guarantee bug free ness, or best algorithmness either for that matter :D

Suppose I should PM you source code eh...

Oh and the whining.... that was because you didn't explain the two programs and what you wanted very well.