Mobile Chips...

I have a P4 2.0 478 on my desktop and a P4 2.8 478 in my laptop... would it work to swap processors? what things could and might happen.. anyone?

I have a P4 2.0 478 on my desktop and a P4 2.8 478 in my laptop... would it work to swap processors? what things could and might happen.. anyone?

512589[/snapback]

all signs point to no, as i belive mobile chips are physically attached to the mobo and can't be easily removed

Edited by sdy284

thanks for the info wasnt sure.. havent taken apart the laptop to see the internals i wasnt sure if it had the same setup as a desktop mobo... all i know is it has smaller ram :)

are you people *edited by me for content*? hello go look up the specs on a toshiba A45-S120, guess what P4 isnt there...the only concern is ive the diffrent boards support the revision CPU (northwood/willamette 533/800fsb) and that the board support the voltage the CPUs run at.

now SOME older CPUs could be soldered to the mobo, but with a P4 it's not likely.

Oh and when upping the CPU in a PC making sure the HSF can take the heat is the other improtant issue, a stock 2.0 cooler wont like a 2.8, and a desktop full voltage 2.66 pretty much maxes out the temps i like to see on a laptop when compared to a low voltage celeron (it was also a desktop CPU but running low voltage)

Edited by cchalogamer

Guest Raven65

Very true mobiles are physically attached to the mobo. So that's out of the question. Unless you want to try to pry it off and break it.