Dvd Burner Problem

Squarepi

I have a Plextor DVD Burner (Model PX-716A) that I've installed in a Dell. Today when I went to burn a DVD-R, the drive wouldn't recognize that there was a DVD in it. Nero also says that the drive is empty. I know the problem is not with the disc, as the drive won't recognize any type of disk I throw at it, even though they all work fine in other computers. The Device Manager says that the drive is working properly. I have the latest firmware for it, and have tried restarting the computer. I do know that the drive is communicating with the computer because when I can eject the drive through both Windows and Nero.

Any ideas why it would just stop recognizing discs or how to fix it?

I can't really figure out from your post if it ever worked to beging with.  Have you used it successfully before this problem?  If so, for how long?

507700[/snapback]

Sorry 'bout that. Yes, the drive has worked fine since I installed it about 6 months ago. I've burned CDs and DVDs and read CDs and DVDs with this drive.

in the dell or in another computer, cause all i can really think of is that its a dell, lol, maybe u forget to connect something. dunnue.

Run a self dianostics, im not sure if its the same with dvd burners but on a cd burner from plextor do the following. make sure the drive is only connected to the psu and nothing else. hold down the open button on the drive and cut on the system. the light should blink for a sec and open. insert a blank cd (maybe dvd if it applies to dvd burners) and close it. it will burn test data to the disk. should the test run sucessfully, it will auto eject, should it not there will be 2 types of errors. 1 meaning its a read/write error and forgot the other. consult your manual or website for this. i had a plextor burner (premium) bugg out on me after 3 months of virtually no use.