Amd 64 3700 Oc Noob Questions

Howdy! I was wondering if I could get a little advice on overclocking my new machine?

Specs: Amd 64 3700 San Diego

MSI K8N NEO2 Platnum

2x 512 OCZ 3200 Platnum Rev.2 @ 2 2 2 5 (V.1.0) TCCD???

500 watt Utra Xtream

So far I have gotten to Prime stable with these settings:

Timing..2.5 3 3 6 2cmd

HT 4x

HTT 10x 265

CPU @ 1.63

Dimm @ 2.8

I've been able to run 32m Pi @ 10x 267, and the highest I've had it was 11x 261 @ 5:6 divider.

Memory has remained Dual channel as this is my gaming machine. I was hoping for a higher Prime Stable, and I'm thinking that it may be accomplished by tweaking the timings. Here is where my noobness comes into play. Where do I start? I want them as tight as I can get for gaming, but I also am interested in seeing how far this setup will go, and remain stable.

Any help will be greatly appriciated.

TY

Creeper

we had oh so similar hardware and similar dilema. im using a venice (see sig for details) and i cant get past 2.55ghz stable and i tried ht of 4 and 3 with dividers and multi of 10 and 9x. and supposedly my lbble venice is a good o/cer. sigh i think venice and our neo2s dont go well together... :angry2: and suppesly according to corsair i got tccd ram... i would be happy if i can hit 2.6 stable...

as for the timings, i set my ram from 2-2-2-5 to 2.5-3-3-10 so i can try to eliminate ram as culprit, but it seems to be a trio, board, cpu, and ram. and i dont know if my neo2 is undervolting.

What kind of cooling are you using and what are your temps? First thing I would recommend is with your settings the way you posted them being currently. Lower the HTT Multi to x3 and then up the vcore to 1.7v(if cooling permits) and up the vdimm to 1.85v and see if that gives you anymore headroom. Also, what is your command rate set to?

You can see in my sig that our specs are similar. I had the best luck with 250x11, Vcore 1.625, 2.5-4-3-6 1T, VDIMM 2.8. I got through 27 hours of Prime 95 with these settings. 270x10 was a no-go for me. I think my memory is the culprit, but I'm not sure. Changing the HT multiplier from 4x to 3x didn't seem to make any difference on my EPoX, it may be different on the Neo2.

@ Nerm. I'm water cooled with a Koolance AL. Temps on this chip are great. 29 idle and 34 load (looped 3DMark 05). vcore and vdimm are already at max for this board. I've read that there are some hard mods to boost the vdimm but I don't want to go there. I'll wait for a bios update.

@ Target. I believe that you're right about the HTT multi. I felt that this board was happier with the 11x. This ram is the best I've tried, and I really like the tight timings (2 2 2 5) @ 200.

I might keep my timing where it is a go back to the 11x.

Thanx for the replies!

Creeper

there is an option to boost more volts to what Vacreeper has, but im on air with stock so im not sure that if i push it my cpu might fry. i can keep temps down a bit, i got that big@$$ fan cooling my motherboard. could the lack of vcore be affecting my venice from hitting 2.6ghz stable? and does neo2 undervolt? and the max vdimm is 2.85 which i run all my ram at.

I'm going to have some similar questions coming up here soon.

I have a SanDiego 3700+

ASUS A8N sli deluxe

and OCZ ddr600 platinum coming soon.

Right now w/ some Corsair XMS ddr400 i'm at 10x260 with 4X HT multiplier at 2.5 4 3 7 timings.

I have a DangerDen kit consisting of TDX D5 pump and two radiators, a BIX and getting an BIX3 soon to lower temps a bit more

Basically I think 4X HT multiplier times 300MHz ram would give me 2.4GHz effective HT clock, and the best I could do b4 was 2.25GHz on HT b4 it craps out

Hi there guys,

I've managed to get my 3700+ running stable @ 2.42ghz (11x220mhz) after upgrading my memory (crucial balistix pc3200).

However, i'm struggling to obtain stability at 2.6ghz (11x237mhz) - i think my memory can take this speed, and i'm sure the processor can too (vcore is currently @ 1.4625, idle 37c, full load 46c) but i believe it may be my memory/cas settings that need tweaking. Have any of you guys managed 2.6ghz on air? What was you memory set too? Currently my memory is at 2.5,3,3,7 1T - HT set to auto.

Cheers :D

A8N SLI (ver 10.002)

amd 4000+ (3700 really :)) (zalman cooled)

2xGigabyte6800GT (zalman vga coolers)

1gb crucial ballistix

2.6 Ghz with 1.46 vcore is nice indeed. Mine needed a big voltage bump to get past 235 HTT. Other than that try HT multi at 3, RAM at 2.5-4-3-7.

505573[/snapback]

Voltage bump? What are we talking then, approximately 1.55 or so? Higher?

What would be considered a safe vcore limit on air cooling alone (albeit, good air cooling)?

thx