Xp And Modem Installation

kwantrol

hi folks. I'm new to this forum. I'm not a complete novice with hardware and software, but when I received my Creative Modem Blaster from Newegg.com . . . I couldn't get one to work with the other. I am running XP on an Athlon Thunderbird machine. I physically installed the hardware in the PCI slot (even moved it a few times) but was unable to continue further with the driver installation. a PCI Communications error notifies me that "the data is invalid". I have come to the conclusion that I am either lacking the proper drivers or settings in XP won't allow for the installation. I'm at a total loss. It's rather frustrating to be 1 of a dying breed of dial-up users, even moreso when a simple process is now arduous.

:withstupid: Creative XP drivers would be your best bet, plus if I'm not mistaken modems still require being on comm 2? Its scary now that I've thought about it, how long its been since I've even seen a modem... :blink:

ok. I do believe there is a conflict. I have an NIC, Creative Live! card, and Leadtek GeForce 3 in my slots. I don't think the GF3 is the cause since it doesn't use a PCI slot. The drivers were not the problem. Also, the updated drivers were still "digitally unsigned'. Not that it matters, since Creative says to continue with installation. I don't know how to mess with my IRQ settings (Interrupt Relay something?). I was also thinking of messing with the Registry, but then I thought it too risky. Still in dire need of tech support. oh, and I've got XP Professional . . . not that it matters.

Actually.. Your best bet.. RMA that thing buy ur self a US Robotics..

I can tell you right now.. Creative Modems.. Nothing but problems..

I tryed installing one on my friend XP 1600 GF3 Ti200 128mb ram.. etc. etc..

It dident take..

I told him to get a new modem.. Us robotics.. took it back.. got the new modem slaped it in himself.. and after he installed the drivers.. walaa he was online..

I think Creative should stick with soundcards.. thats my opinion though..

Also about 2 years ago another one of my friends got a Creative Modem.. No go there either.. he ended up taking it back..

l8rz!

problem still not solved . . . I really don't want to send it back since I haven't really tested all the possibilities. I was wondering if anyone knows and is willing to spend a more time with me on this. any further help would be greatly appreciated.

problem: Creative Modem Blaster unable to be properly installed in XP. "PCI Communication Controller error- data is invalid" Downloaded newest drivers but was unable to completely install them. XP would lock up midway through install or wouldn't even start.

I had a similar problem when installing Detonator drivers for my VidCard. The screen would go black and just have the blinking cursor at the top left corner. The Harddrive wasn't spinning or anything so I thought it froze. After 2 or 3 attempts I figured, hell just let it sit at the blank screen and wait to see what happens. Low and behold, it was installing the drivers the entire time, I guess it just disables the screen so it can properly install. If it look like it's sitting there doing nothing as you install the drivers, just give it a few minutes. Take a bathroom break or get something to drink while you wait. If it sits there for like 10 minutes and nothing happens then I'd say it froze. That's what I think you should try next. Good luck! I know what not having an Internet Connection is like, it really sux @$$!

already let it sit for nearly 20 minutes when I went to shower. I even decided to take a call on my cell since I noticed it wasn't 'finished installing'. thanks for the suggestion though, any more ideas are welcome. I wonder if reformatting will wipe out everything . . . including driver conflicts or what not.