Help! Plz!

pleeez help!! an old 1.3 ghz duron chip i had layin around burnt out my bro's mobo....at least i think. i put the duron in the board to see if it still worked, and nothin came up. soo.....i figured oh well, she's burnt out like i thought. so then i go to put his 1800+ athlon xp back in it, and then it wont start up on me either! plz help.....or else my bro's gonna kill me!

tried it, it comes up and does the exact same thing......nothing

and Savan, thats exactly what i'm tryin to avoid doin, lol. i'm tryin to save up for my next big computer, so i cant really afford to go out buyin cheap socket a mobo's that he'll want replaced in a year. :P

make sure that the mobo is not touching the case at all. That it what happend to me and i ended up shorting out my mobo. Also make sure that the heatsink is on nice and good, making good contact with the cpu, if it isn't then the cpu will get too hot and shut down.

:( this sucks :(

i unplugged the PSU for a couple minutes and took the battery out about a minute, then hooked everything back up, and it still does the same thing.

on a side note....i didnt think it was even possible for a dead CPU to blow a mobo out was it? lol

yep. i guess i'll just have to give him my socket a mobo when i upgrade to 64 bit. thanks for the help as always guys! very apreciative that i always have somewhere to go to with my problems. maybe one of these days i'll find the time to pitch in a respond to more of ppls posts as well.

What happens exactly? Because I had the same problem from a bad 2500+ and fixed it by jump starting the motherboard.. lol.

When you push the power button does NOTHING happen, or does it start boot sequence... does just no video come up. Do fans spin.. We kind of need a more detailed description of the problem in order to help you fix it.

If nothing happens at all, no fans spin, no hd, no power, nothing. A) make sure the power button is connected... B) make sure nothing's shorting out. C) run a wire from the back of the ATX power connector from the green wire to the black wire and touch them together while it's on the board. Fans should spin up etc. You might have to try this a few times at proper releases in order to get it into a boot sequence. (this is how I fixed mine, when EPOX told me I'd have to RMA...)

If fans spin, but there's no video, try reseating the video card. Pull everything off of the motherboard except for the cpu fan and the video card, boot see if it errors for ram, if it does, put 1 stick of ram in boto again. if it goes through a boot sequence, connect things until it stops booting, there's your problem.

if you get a beeping error code RTFM.

"Yeah if you put a bad cpu in its basically like putting in no cpu at all and you couldve blown the mobo. Sorry dude"

And you can't blow a motherboard by not putting a processor in... How do you figure that'd work? Unless you didn't put a processor in and stuck a wire randomly into the voltage pin location and an ungrounded pin location that wouldn't happen... Motherboards usually only blow from A) overheating the mosfets B) shorting something out that shouldn't be.. IE dropping a screwdriver in the case while it's running... lol. Or C) overvolting the northbridge or southbridge / overheating them with too much throughput, increased pci freq or agp freq.