Hard Drive Failure?

Blue_cow

Just wondering weather or not this is hard drive failure but my old computer keeps randomly restarting and then giving me these hard drive errors. Its no big deal if it is because its my mom/sister's comp and im going to get a new 20gb hdd or something if i can but im wondering if the hard drive has reached the end of the line. It makes lots of loud noises like its loading and stuff and then it crashes.

Nope, no bsod ;). It crashes then reboots and while booting stops and gives me a hard drive error. It also doesnt read the drive so thats obviosly the problem, is it just gotten too old to work any more though?

PS. Lucky, i jiggled the molex connector a bit and got the computer to work long enough to back up all of my sister's pictures from her digital camera so thats good.

It isn't necessarily the HD going bad. Maybe you just need to repair your installation of windows. Though I am saying this, I am still going with hard drive is going bad because of your symptoms and will not work so try to get any files off it while you can. Take care of the problem while you can.

Get a program called "PC Check" put it on a bootable floppy and let it check the HD and I am willing to bet that the HD fails the non destructive read test, if I am right and it does fail that test then yes it is pretty certain it is the HD. :)