Sata Cable Question

Vic Mackey

im my MSI mobo manual it says that you shouldnt bend the sata cable to greater than 90 degree angle or it could cause data loss. is this true? i have an antec superlanboy with the side loading hard drives and the cable HAS to be bent if i want to put the side door on. could this be why sometimes ive had an error about missing files and had to reformat the hard drive?

I have side loading hard drives in my case and I bend my cables every which way not only so I can close the side door, but also to hide them to reduce cable clutter. So far I have yet to witness data corruption.

The reason why you might be having data loss is if you don't have or aren't using a PCI lock if you are overclocking your system. If you're system isn't overclocked, then the issue lies somewhere else........

You can bend them, its recommened to not bend them further than 90 degrees to be safe... but you can bend them.

Just dont fold them and you should be fine

I have a super lanboy too, mine are bent to all hell and I havnt had any data loss. Im using the UV reactive sata cable though, I find them a LOT more flexible than the grey/black/red standard sata cables that come with motherboards.

Same thought as Vamps. Got a bunch of the UV ones pretty cheap ($3 each) and not having any issues. Have all 4 SATA ports hooked up right now with cables bent all over the place.

Cheers!

Yep, I have side loading hdd's too, and the first path both of my SATA cables take off the drive is a 180 bend back behind the drives. No problems.

Also with regards to the PCI lock: That happened to me. The neo2 plat has 2 channels that lock, and 2 that don't. When I first setup my SATA, I just ASSUMED I knew which were which, and I got it wrong. I couldn't even get past the initial windows setup file copy before the thing would just crash. That was at a pretty aggressive OC, but what I'm saying is that if you're at a pretty high OC, you would see the PCI lock problem quite often. If you're at a relatively minimal OC, you might be able to go a long time before seeing any major problems.

I did spring the extra 2 or 3 bucks a piece for the good SATA cables too, and it's worth it. First of all, they're UV, which is great for looks. But also, they're definately higher grade cable, and they seem to clip firmly onto the drive, as opposed to the cheapo cables that feel like they could fall off at any time.

Im using the UV reactive sata cable though, I find them a LOT more flexible than the grey/black/red standard sata cables that come with motherboards.

487956[/snapback]

Got a bunch of the UV ones pretty cheap ($3 each) and not having any issues

Cheers!

488032[/snapback]

I did spring the extra 2 or 3 bucks a piece for the good SATA cables too, and it's worth it.  First of all, they're UV, which is great for looks.  But also, they're definately higher grade cable, and they seem to clip firmly onto the drive, as opposed to the cheapo cables that feel like they could fall off at any time.

488040[/snapback]

Forgot to mention that in my post. The SATA cables that came with my mobo, though may have been pretty, were of VERY poor quality. I ordered a pair of big, fat, red ones and haven't had a problem since. I don't have to worry about me opening up the side of case and the cables slipping off and me not noticing it. It actually requires a small amount of force to pull those cables out, and I think that's a good thing.

If you're talking about those blue ones with really big connectors on the hard drive side, then you would be incorrect. Those things are pure GARBAGE. Buy a good quality one that's shaped like a normal cable (only data connectors, no power/data combo like those WD ones)