New Pelt Concept

Savan

Instead of placing a peltier between the CPU and a W/C bloock, you could just place it on the resevuar, and have a cheip little air cooler on the hot side, so instead of cooling the CPU, and heating the water, you could cool the water and cool the CPU.

Instead of placing a peltier between the CPU and a W/C bloock, you could just place it on the resevuar, and have a cheip little air cooler on the hot side, so instead of  cooling the CPU, and heating the water, you could cool the water and cool the CPU.

487433[/snapback]

I guess that would work with an aluminum res if it was small and a pretty powerful tec, but would raise your case temps...it takes a lot to really cool a container of water!

its like a water chiller using a pelt.. problem is aircooling your pelt.. hot water from the cpu wont be cool easily with the pelt especially since its aircooled..your aircooled pelt gonna have a hard time trying to cool the water :D

it might work on an external setup, and you could just point some extra fans at it

:Edit: and its not really meant to be like Uber performance, or extream cooling, just better water cooling

well if cold air cools better, cold water cools better, plus for this, you dont need any special brakets, you can just put it on whenever, and see better water temps.

if you talking about cool water and hitting temps below ambient temp, its hard.. because your water itself is gonna be hot.. like 50-60C ?? could be higher.. and generally to cool a 50-60C water to below ambient with aircooled pelt.. really hard as the heatload needed to be remove by the pelt is alot..

it can be done but doubt water temps will hit that low, perhaps 5-10C above ambient but if that is the case, you're better off with a radiator then a pelt..

I've been toying with this idea for a while. It would work great but you would need a pelt with a similar power rating as your cpu, ie 80watts. What I am going to do is have two res, and a rad. I will go res-rad-res-cpu-gpu-NB-back to the first res. The pelt will be in the second res so that the water is cooled after the rad and before the cpu. You should be able to get around 10-15 below ambient, depending on how fast your pump is and how big of res you have. I don't know why^^^you would think the water would be at 60C? that would mean that your die would be at LEAST 60C and I've never seen a watercooled rig that had a cpu temp of 60C!

BTW even with 10C below ambient you will need to worry about condensation. I was planning on using 3/8 tubing and sealing it inside 1/2 tubing to prevent the tubing from forming condensation. I think the waterblock and stuff would be ok because it should stay around ambient with the heat of the CPU.

If I try this before you I'll let you know how it works. :)

why i say the water is at 50-60C is simple... its about the same temps you get from a passive watercooling setup.. no rad.. lol i wont be suprise if the water is higher in temp after passing the cpu..

cos you have to imagine how hot the water will be with no rad and then you use your pelt to cool the radless watercooling setup...lol you can always try but the pelt cant never be aircooled.. gonna have a problem..

just look at the swiftech MCW-CHILL 452..

MCW-CHILL-452-TOP-400x266.jpg

same principle..im just saying, you cant really aircool the pelt..that is all..

but i think 80 watt pelt is a tat underpower dont you think? the pelt gonna be overload and you end up burning your cpu :)

why i say the water is at 50-60C is simple... its about the same temps you get from a passive watercooling setup.. no rad.. lol i wont be suprise if the water is higher in temp after passing the cpu..

cos you have to imagine how hot the water will be with no rad and then you use your pelt to cool the radless watercooling setup...lol you can always try but the pelt cant never be aircooled.. gonna have a problem..

same principle..im just saying, you cant really aircool the pelt..that is all..

but i think 80 watt pelt is a tat underpower dont you think? the pelt gonna be overload and you end up burning your cpu :)

487893[/snapback]

Considering a A64 proccy under full load dissapates 89watts, I think a 80 watt pelt would be fine to chill the water a bit :)

And with a passive WC setup the water temp is nowhere near 60C. Check out some reviews first on the reserator and swiftech, (I think its them that has the new one, it was posted on this site a while back, stayed at 35C)

And I would still use a rad, just pelt to chill the water before it hits proccy. And you would be fine to use a aircooled HS to cool the pelt considering even a stock HS is rated for aroun 100W.

I've been toying with the same idea myself... but the point is not to use the pelt in the place of a radiator, but to bring the reservoir temp a little further down AFTER the radiator has done its job. So basically: use a normal water cooling system, including radiator, as it was designed to be used. Then use a low-watt pelt to bring the reservoir temp down somewhat further with air-cooling on the pelt.

Basically, the pelt is not needed or critical, but simply there to help keep the water temperature at or slightly below ambient. I think that it is a really good idea.