Protect Folders? In Xph

Onyks

Is it possible to password certain Folders in XP? im started to keep my bank statements on the computer and its not a public computer or anything id just like them to be better protected.

IF windows cant do it, is there a free program that can?

You can use file system permissions which can grant various rights based on username. Technically, windows can do that with EFS (Encrypted File System). That can be a PITA since if you change your password you will lose your data (among other problems). If you want something further, try using password-protected zips.

There are also a large number of freeware/shareware apps available that can do this - check http://www.download.com

I believe you need to go under Folder Options and uncheck Simple filesharing which will allow you to assign specific users to a certain folder. Not too sure if it is available in XP Home though.

I think XP Pro can encrypte files, I don't think home can. You could try making them hidden, however i have not yet figured out an easy way to locate them and open them after they have been hidden.