New Case Vs New Psu

I want to either buy a new PSU or a new case. My case right now has a big dent on the top of it, it looks bad because the Tsunami has a shiny finish on it. That and the front door is very restrictive, and the stamped fan grilles block a lot of cold air coming into and going out of the case. I could just cut out those grilles and call it a day, but since it's already got the dent in it, I want a better quality case.

I've been eyeing this special Lian-Li that performance-pcs.com has with four 120mm fans, it looks really nice and has a mesh grille in the back that could be replaced if I wanted to. I could easily fit my 120x38mm Panaflo fans in there for better airflow. The only problem aesthetically is my cd-burner and live-drive for the soundcard are white and the case is black. I would need to source at least the live-drive panel bezel.

Now the other issue is my Thermaltake 480w PSU makes this very annoying whistling/howling noise when it gets a bit warm, it's always done that but it seems worse now. Coupled with the possible voltage stability issues, which causes my computer to freeze-up randomly, I have a good argument to replace it. My option is to replace it with a sleeved Antec NEOPower 480 from performance-pcs.com.

I just need to make a decision on what to replace first, crappy case with a dent or the famously bad Thermaltake PSU. The case is more money ($180 and shipping) and the PSU is $160 and shipping. I can't buy both at once.

This is outside the topic, but which would more likely be the cause of my soundcard crashing and making the squeal-of-death noise, the card itself, or my ASUS P4C800-DLX motherboard? Or could it be related to the crappy PSU?

Here are the links to what I'm considering

Case: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/pro...9af2fcb054a8a06

PSU: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/pro...9af2fcb054a8a06

I don't care for arguments about sleeving and cutting holes in the case. I can't afford to start cutting and modding these brand new parts and lose the warranty if I make a mistake. All I need help with is making the final decsion.

Thanks.

Edited by Hyper Threaded

Guest Raven65

Personally I donn't care much for lian li. I'd go with a thermaltake or a raidmax. as per the PSU the OCZ powerstream.

I say go for the case first. Just a FYI, I got bored and calculated the percentage airflow restriction on the front intake of that case on a friends system and it comes out to around 65%. I did a similar calculation for the PC60/61/65/70/75 located here.

Also, I might be selling my Tagan 480watt PSU soon. You can check it out here. Only reason why I might be selling it is that it doesn't work well with my UPS. PM me if interested.

Hey guys,

My soundcard is dying on me now, so I need to save up for that before anything else. My keyboard is misbehaving as well, due to an accident with a bit of soda getting under the keys... Once I've purchased a new keyboard and soundcard, I'll be in the market for a new case/PSU again.

I am definetely getting the PSU first, no matter how bad the front door on this tsunami restricts airflow, the system still needs a proper power source.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Personally I donn't care much for lian li. I'd go with a thermaltake or a raidmax. as per the PSU the OCZ powerstream.

482750[/snapback]

:withstupid: I agree with raven on this one. :)

lol, your welcome raven. I don't agree with you as much on the thermaltake as I am not a huge thermaltake fan, but I have had lots of raidmax cases and love them. and how could I not agree on an ocz powerstream psu lol.