New Processor, Need Some Ideas

Okay, so I just purchased a winfast 6800 GT 256mb agp graphics card and another 512 mb of pc2700 ddr system memory, and I'm thinking I'm gona need a faster processor to take full advantage of the card.

Right now my current setup is:

AMD Athlon 2100+

512 mb pc2700 ram

geforce 3 ti 500

At any rate, aside from the new gfx card and more memory, I was thinking of picking up an Athlon 64 3200 revision E 90nm processor and overclocking it to get to somewhere around the 2.5 ghz mark.

I'm relatively new to overclocking and have been out of the loop as far as new hardware is concerned (other than video cards I suppose).

I was wondering which motherboards would provide the most stable platform for overclocking. I generally stick with ASUS or Gigabyte mainboards, and I'm lookin to spend between 100 and 150 dollars (if possible). Special features of the motherboard aside.

Also, should I stick with the pc2700 ram or go for something that will complement this setup a bit more (stricly from a processor overclocking compatability standpoint)?

I was thinking of the Gigabyte - GA-K8NSC-939, not sure if thats the best choice though...

(I apologize in advance if these types of threads are not allowed, I didn't see anything in the forum rules about it)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by djsignor

Ok, since you are using a socket a setup with pc2700 ram, you should stay away from the 64 setup. (at least for now)... The 64 setups run very nice with ddr 400 (pc3200). You will end up bottlenecking the new setup if you are going to go to a 64 and keep that ram... For the most bang for the buck I would just get a mobile athlon 2600+. Make sure its a MOBILE.. As it is factory UNLOCKED.. Which in lamens terms means you can pump it to 2500mhz with ease, just by changing the clock multiplier in the mobo... That will utilize the ram you have better than changing motherboard, processor, and ram to get the most out of it... Not to mention that you will be in the hole at least 400.00 to get all those items I have listed. I would just get that processor and get a nice Thermaltake Volcano 7+ HSF or something of the sort, and overclock.. Plus those processors are floating around for 100.00 shipped. Stock speeds will destroy the 2100 you have, and OVERCLOCKED are the equivalent of a 4000+ processor!!! So.. if you are looking to save money and get a TON more performance than the current setup, get the mobile 2600 and overclock it.. Done deal...

I hope I didnt ramble on too much.

okay, well for one thing, I'm kinda upgrading in pieces here (the memory was like 35 bucks so I figured what the hell, it will tide me over till I can get some nice dual channel ddr 400)

I will upgrade the ram as well if I need to. Right now I can't tell you what kind of motherboard I have cause I'm at work, but I'll post that later.

Assuming I could get the ram (I'm not talking most bang for the buck and be really cheap about it, I'm talking lots of performance but not break the bank with unnecessary hardware), I'm sure I would be better off with a 64 setup (at least thats what I hear).

At any rate, why would it matter if the card is AGP...is pci-e that much more complient with 64 setups or something?

I might just take your advice though, flash...

Edited by djsignor

the newest 64bit mobos use nforce4 chipsets. that chipset utilizes pci-e, so no agp.

however, a nice nforce3 mobo gives you a 64bit rig with agp. i'm running a winchester 3000 on a msi k8n neo2 with a 6800gt, and it will play anything i throw at it.

do some research though, cause some of the nf3(and nf4) mobos, are very picky about the ram you use.

if you can afford it, go 64. if budget is your primary concern, get a mobile athlon and oc it.

edit: i had an unlocked athlon 2500 on a dfi lanparty with a 6800gt and even that setup rocked. any of the options listed here will toast that 2100.

btw, as cool as the unlocked 2500 on the dfi was, it just can't compare with my new rig.

and pci-e really doesn't offer any significant increase in performance over agp--yet. the next generation of video cards should start to max out agp, and that's where pci-e will really start to shine. but agp still has plenty of life in it, so don't think you have to get a new pci-e card.

Edited by upok

okay, great info, thanks...

I think if the athlon 2600 mobile is compatible with my mobo, I'll go with that option.

EDIT: Apparently my current mobo sux (GA-7VRX). But thats cool cause I just ordered an ASUS A7N8X-E Delux motherboard and an athlon XP MOBILE 2600+. I think I'll be happy with this purchase and it was about $193 total as opposed to 450 - 500.

Thank you everyone, I'll probably be needing help overclocking it, but we'll see, hehe.

Edited by djsignor