Help On Raid Zero Setup

Z55_Dan

I'm wanting to do a raid zero setup on my pc. I have one WD 160gb sata right now. Do I just need one more identical drive, or do I also need a hd controller?

I'm confused on these setups but am impressed with their benefits so if someone could please explain this to me it would be greatly apprecciated.

Thanks

you would need a second drive (identical) and a RAID controller, either or an add on card or your mobo may have one....

I would even recommend a third drive not in the RAID array for backups....

480613[/snapback]

:withstupid:

But, if you really want to get some honkin speed out of this thing, and you have the cash, get a pair of 10,000 RPM Raptors and use the 160 as backup.

Or,

I am pretty sure that 1 Raptor is better than a pair of 7K RPM drives in Raid 0.

Someone correct me if I am wrong on this one please

If Cash is Tight, one identical drive, raid 0 will definatly be faster.

CPU_Cooker

or you could just go with a raid 5, just get 2 more HD's to make 3.. and then one fails, you still have full access to your data, just replace the busted one, and let it rebuild the failed hd automatically.. .

This is my motherboard.  Do I need a RAID controller, it says that it is RAID 0/1 compatible.....

Thanks everyone

480882[/snapback]

i aslo have an asus board with raid.you dont need to buy a controler then.its all built in the mobo.

Your board:

Storage Devices

PATA 2 x ATA 100 up to 4 Devices

SATA 2 x SATA 150

SATA RAID RAID 0/1

You do not need a raid controler card. Once you have the new drive, all you will need to make a few changes in the BIOS, and you are in business.

HOWEVER, when you create the RAID 0,

ALL DATA ON BOTH DRIVES WILL BE EREASED.

That means you will have to rebuild your os and all files and programs and what not from the beginning. Or, you can get a copying utility like Norton Ghost, that will let you back up your drive and then copy it to the raid once you have it going.

But, if you backup then you need either a lot of DVD's or another HD to back everything up to, and then copy back to the RAID.

Good luck

CPU_Cooker