Bulding A Comp. With What I've Got

Dtaylor

OK, what motherboard am I going to need to run an AMD Duron? Like, what socket#? Which overclocks better-an AMD or Pentium?

You'd have surplus wattage/grunt 'on tap' remember PSU's don't cycle @ 100% duty/load (it's closer to 75%)

What does this mean?

What is a barebonesathlon AXP? I don't have much money at all...so I might not be able to afford one. I don't speak computer geek so I need these explainations...

Edited by Dtaylor

You'd have surplus wattage/grunt 'on tap' remember PSU's don't cycle @ 100% duty/load (it's closer to 75%)

What does this mean?

482179[/snapback]

Your question was...

What would happen if I had a motherboard that was meant to run at 90W and I hooked it up to a 150W power supply?

So that was my answer, if the total M/board requirements were only 90w (peak usage) then a 150w PSU would have more supply than is required... thus it'd be surplus grunt/wattage :P

What does the 75% duty cycle mean? well PSU's are marketed by their peak power output, not their guaranteed 75% output... keep in mind they're unable to sustain 100% indefinitely, thus you need to ensure that the 75% output is sufficient for you needs.

Socket A is what Duron processors run on/in, as for which m/board that'll depend on which Duron core you're running (100fsb/133fsb), I run a Duron 800Mhz ( core) on an Abit KT7 (KT-133 chipset) motherboard (this also supports the Athlon 1100Mhz.

As far as overclocking... AMD is the fore runner r/t cost & value, otherwise both OC well with different characteristics :)

actually Taz you have to watch how PSU's wattage is rated. some are rated @ max output while others are rated at average output.

for example an Antec True power 430w is actually capable of hitting 620w, but can sustain 430w all the time.

while a powmax (god I hate those things) that is rated to 520w will MAX at 520w and sustain only 300w.

Taylor: AXP = Athlon XP. with the release of the Athlon 64 and the Sempron's being renamed Athlon XP's thier prices have come WAY down. they're still a very good value.

also keep an eye open for some combo deals. I have run 2200+ semprons with motherboard (onboard sound, video, lan, and agp slot) for as low as $49.99... and I know other retailers have been doing so as well.