Hard Drive Wont Boot To Windows

Cyrosis

Turned on my cpu this morning and posted, but instead of seeing the windows logo, just a black screen. so reboot. same thing. so long story short, i put in the windows disc for a reinstall of windows xp, but doing so , it will freeze right before it makes it to the format/partition screen giveing me a good ol blue screen of death with some error code (not at home right now, so will get back to the code when i get home) well, after all this appears pointless , i find an old 2 gb seagate drive in my spare parts box, so i hook it up as master , install xp, and find that my maxtor 60gb that wont boot still seems just fine.. files are all still there, tranfered files fine, defragged, and did the error check. it just wont boot, so i have no idea what could be going on.

not sure if this is related, but ever since i installed sp2 transfering any files from my desktop (and only my desktop) bigger then acouple mb's would crash explorer. so any ideas? i dont know much of anything about duel hdd set ups, so how can i reinstall windows on the maxtor? or any other ideas? thanks

tried both of those, yet it doesnt appear to be bios, since it gives me the error when trying to reinstall windows. i dont mind reinstalling windows (as long as i can keep th rest of the hd intact) if there is a way to do it besides the boot disk method since that wont work. any way to reinstall it to the drive while it is a slave through the windows on the 2gb seagate drive?

:edit: no overclocking at all,

amd athlon xp 2600+

msi Kt4V mobo

maxtor 60gb ata 133 (and the 2bg seagate from lord knows when for now, atleast it boots)

bfg tech 6800 gt

1 gig (2 512 sticks) kington 333mhz ram

audigy 2 zs

420 watt psu

hthe most recent change is getting sp2, been running stable with that for about 2 weeks tho, till now.

Edited by Cyrosis

probably stating the obvious here but have you checked your IDE cable and secondly, will it let you in in safe mode from BIOS as it could be a graphics problem (given it's posting but when the graphics card takes over at the start of windows it is going black) , check everything is in it's sockets too (like you haven't already).

other than that it's a case of dragging your important files over to the 2gb and re-formatting before a re-install I guess, yeuch.

ive used 2 ide's both did the same, and its not the gfx card not displaying properly becuase it works fine with the 2 gb and when the screen is black i still never heard the windows start sounds either. but i found a way to get it to reformat, i just booted the cpu with the 2 gig and renamed the windows folder on the maxtor so when i formated it, it didnt detect windows and let me go through with the reformat. but i do think my hard drive may be going bad becuase it only formated properly with the quick format option, the normal ntsf format gave an error, and said part of it couldnt be formated due to possible hd damage. so for now it appears to be working and ill be looking for a new hd :unsure: so i guess i can just hope the damaged part of the hd doesnt do anything when i start to install everything.

thanks guys ;)

hmm... so everything works fine when you use the 2 gig?

i would try reformatting the 60 gig and just hoping that it works this time around. but if it doesnt, i would say you need a new hdd my friend.

Edited by hiph0pan0nym0usx

hmm... so everything works fine when you use the 2 gig?

i would try reformatting the 60 gig and just hoping that it works this time around. but if it doesnt, i would say you need a new hdd my friend.

440247[/snapback]

well, its up and working ok, but i cant help but think it could do it again and id lose all my stuff once more, since it was so un expected the first time, so i just ordered a new 80 gb western digital from newegg (3 year warrenty) so i wont have to worry.