120mm Blowhole

i would like to make a hole for a 120mm fan on my clear side panel. Can I drill through the plexi with a dremel and the circle cutter attachment? If so, Any tips? I have the 400 series dremel, BTW.

Dremel will work. Find something to practice on first though. I use a jigsaw myself, and the drum sander bit to clean up with.

432966[/snapback]

If you use a jigsaw make sure the blade is a nice fine tooth...i used a 36tpi last time i used one on plexi. Oh, and dont move too slow/have too high speed or it will actually leave melted burrs along the edge, and too slow will crack it :( I hate cutting acrylic with hand tools tho(as you can tell)...i cracked 2 sheets before i got my side panel fan hole right...and cutting them for the shape of my case is a mother, so having to do it 3 times wasnt fun -_-. Like r_target said(but i didnt do), practice :P Now i just bring the sheet to school with me and get it out my car before tech class, and cut it on the CNC mill ;). Takes like 5 mins to get the program right, and like another 5 to cut it...perfect circle, no cracks :P

i dont have such fancy tools. I just need to know:

1)can i use the circlecutter attachment? It would be the easiest.

2)what speed setting should I use?

3)Is there anything i need to know before I do this?

Edited by martymcfly

i dont have such fancy tools.  I just need to know:

1)can i use the circlecutter attachment?  It would be the easiest.

2)what speed setting should I use?

3)Is there anything i need to know before I do this?

432985[/snapback]

Here's how I did mine. Figure out where you want the hole, trace it onto the window (a cd works great for this) with ink, as it will wash off easily, and then use a router attachment for the dremel to cut it out. I drilled a hole in the center of the hole, and then used the router to work my way out. This gives you a little practice in the middle, where you aren't likely to hurt anything. I used an old single speed dremel with a router bit, no full attachment, and I made 4 different holes without any damage. Make sure you support the plexi well, and take your time. Don't try to force it. Also remember, it is better to have a little area left inside the hole, than to make it too large. A little on the inside can easily be conceiled with a grill. After your main hole is cut, line up the fan, mark the screw holes, and then drill them out, making sure to support the plexi at all points. You are more likely to damage it while drilling than any other time, as you will be pushing on it. Let the speed do the work, don't force it, and it should come out great.

yeah, a cd works great, but make sure you cut about 1/8" inside of the traced line, otherwise it ends up slightly too large, nothing too worry about, but if you are a perfectionist, do not cut all the way to the line you traced around the cd

as far as what to use, i used a variable speed dremel and went to home depot and got some rotozip bits, they look like a regular drill bit but made to cut sideways, same principle as a router bit

dude i cut the crap out of my plexi all the time.. no cracks, and just sand it down a bit afterwards...

ive got the variable speed dremel corded one... i use the smallest cutoff wheels (dont get jagged saw cutters) use the smooth cutoff wheels and at the 2nd to lowest settings... you should get it pretty good...

to cut a circle though would be tricky.. as long as the wheel is cutting beside the plexi and not on top.. the hole should look fine.. hmm its hard to explain but u can figure it out

i bought a practice sheet of acrylic. That will be good for practice?

Edit: finished mod and it is VERY ugly. But my system is now running at the ambient temp that i usually only get with my tornado on full. My graphics card went from 59 idle to 51 idle. I dont care too[.i] much how it looks because i will sson be getting a sunbeam transformer and my dad said that he will let me build a new rig for my b-day in december.

Edited by martymcfly