Custom Or Pre-built

daniel

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

um, great idea.

you buy a 6600gt

you take his 6800 gt out and put in you 6600gt.

so it like you buying a 6800 for the cost of a 6600, i don't think he will notice the diff., unless has playing games

edit: crap sorry. i ust read the post above me. hes a gamer, soo just forget the idea.

my famliy got a dell. they didn't trust me with with $1000. but the second that thing came to our house. i slapped it open and gave it a new heatsink, and a cd-burner

But if he knows what he is doing to some extent and is willing to learn then most diffentatly get a custom built. (Thats what I did and my computer turned out great...Just to give you an idea how ignorant I was in the matter, it took me 2 weeks to install a video card and about the same amount of time for the ram but now I have my own custom computer)Odds are it will last longer, look better, run better, and you got the pride knowing you built it! If this is the case I would let him do all the work but you should be behind him every step of the way so he will be able to get the feel for his new computer know it inside and out and not worry about f*ing anything up since you are thier to ensure that.

432745[/snapback]

Trust me he doesnt yet know what he's doign, and as i always try to add after he gives advice and show any form of his......ummm stupidity i try to bring up the topic of him and ram.

The short version of the story:

One day Crack here wanted to get some info on the ram in his PC, so he pull out each stick individually and inspects each of the to find out the info he nneds, he put them both back in as they were before. Now what's wrong with this you ask? Well he did all this while teh PC was tunred on and booted into Windows.

OK seriously he's not that bad now but if he can build and maintain a PC 80% of the US population should be able to.

So i vote custom. Best in the long run.

The short version of the story:

One day Crack here wanted to get some info on the ram in his PC, so he pull out each stick individually and inspects each of the to find out the info he nneds, he put them both back in as they were before.  Now what's wrong with this you ask? Well he did all this while teh PC was tunred on and booted into Windows. 

432910[/snapback]

Ouch, just hearing that made me flinch.

Guest Poopsicle Boy

prebuilts = gay. atleast gateways are... in the 1 year and some number of months ive had my gateway ive had to re-install windows 3 times and ive had to replace the psu and the mobo... the machine itself cost 700. W A I S T E O F M O N E Y!!! better value, more fun, show-offness = BUILDING YOUR OWN

LOL Terribly sheltered? No, I work, go to class and hang out on the weekends your average college student. Moneys tight apt. rental, school. books. bills etc. I put aside $50 - $70 a month for a new PC. By this summer I'll have enough to build one and yes I do know how to build a custom PC. Built one for a friend a few months back. And more than likely your customers are having software related issues which all pc's  have lol.

432546[/snapback]

haha glad to hear your gonna build your own :) .....Yes you are right 90% of users computer problems is software based(aka. The User) lol. I have noticed with dell's though is that their PSU's are pathetic and I do see a lot of them getting replaced and of course RAM is a highly replaced component in all pre-builts. pre-builts can be ok if the user has the brains to take care of it and as long as it never does anything more than surfing the net and word processing. I personally just hate them lol. pre-built computer companies are a joke to the computer world.