What Do You Think About The Intel Xeon

One of my friends is looking to upgrade his computer and wants a dual processor mother board like this one. I told him that Xeon processors werent very good, but it does support 3.4ghz. Is this processor sluggish and slow? I know it is used for servers and stuff but i dont really know much about it. Also I cannot find this processor anywhere on the web. If this processor is any good let me know, also let me know where i can find 2 of them please.

Edited by rhoffer21

One of my friends is looking to upgrade his computer and wants a dual processor mother board like this one. I told him that Xeon processors werent very good, but it does support 3.4ghz. Is this processor sluggish and slow? I know it is used for servers and stuff but i dont really know much about it. Also I cannot find this processor anywhere on the web. If this processor is any good let me know, also let me know where i can find 2 of them please.

418732[/snapback]

First you tell your friend Xeons are no good and then you say "i dont really know much about it"? Hold off on giving your friend advice until you get some more information.

Help us out by providing some information first:

1) Why do your friend need a dual proc setup?

2) What will he.she be running on that rig - video editing, game server, db server?

3) Is this going to be a workstation or server setup?

4) What is your friend's build budget?

Find out the answer to those questions and then we'll go from there.

Help us out by providing some information first:

1) Why do your friend need a dual proc setup?

2) What will he.she be running on that rig - video editing, game server, db server?

3) Is this going to be a workstation or server setup?

4) What is your friend's build budget?

1. He wants a fast computer

2. Video games

3. workstation

4. Unlimited

OK. The dual processor isn't going to help him here at all. If he wants a fast computer for gaming, tell him to look at one of the high end AMD FX chips. Games don't utilize multiple processors - they're single threaded. Unless he does a lot of video editing or other types of processes that are multi-threaded, or is running a server that need to handle lots of concurrent requests, he'd be wasting his money on a dual processor setup and would likely be disappointed in the results. Additionally, most dual processor workstation/server boards, including the Asus you linked to, use ECC memory and you're going to pay a price in performance to gain the added reliability you get with ECC memory.

My recommendation is for your friend to use his unlimited budget on a nice AMD FX-53 or FX-55 setup.

Im going to agree fully here, not only is AMD better for gaming, but games wont use the second CPU at all. Instead have him use his unlimited budget to get a FX-55, 2gb of ram, and 2 6800 ultras in SLI. granted the SLI is still somewhat of a waste, but it will show more than the dual xeons for gaming. Add to that with 2 74GB WD raptors, And he will have one NICE system.

intel xeon = P4 with SMP support, 533 fsb, upto 2mb cache

intel xeon with EM64T = P4 with 64 bit extensions, 800 fsb, upto 2mb cache

so overall they're not better or worse than a standard desktop chip... more of a specific purpose.

Yeha too bad that purpose doesnt match his task lol, of course saying you have a 6.8ghz PC is worth something.....

418807[/snapback]

it doesn't work that way :( a 3.6 + a 3.6 is not a 7.8ghz machine.