Configuring An Apache Server

Well I got my Apache server up and running, but when my friends try and download stuff off of it they say its at 30kb/s. Is this just my ISP? I (am supposed to) have 256kb/s upstream speed. Or is there some option I can configure for my server to help give faster downloads? Any help would be appreciated.

Heh that sounds right. I have bellsouth fastacess DSL ultra, dunno what they mean by

Up to 1.5Mbps/

256Kbps

(best effort)

I can download at 1.5mbytes/second...so i think they mean 256kilobytes/sec though..

Is there a way to test my upload speed?

Edited by Cookieman1234

Oh on, remember it is mesured at 152 kilobits per second.  NOT 152 kilobytes per second.  Its a big difference

Remember, 8 bits in 1 byte.  All network speeds are measured in kilobits per second.

413660[/snapback]

Well that still doesnt explain why i can download at 1.5megabytes per second.

My ISP says that my connection is

Up to 1.5Mbps/

256Kbps

(best effort)

Is that just because the "best effort" isn't being achieved?

i doublt you are d/l'ing at 1.5 megabytes per second. your advertised speeds are 1.5 megabits per second by 256 kilobits per second.

thats close to 200 kiloBYTES per second. so when you are d/ling the ie or firefox download window would show about 200kb/s max. When people d/l from you the max they're going to see is around 30.

http://nu-earth.net/calc/bits.php (bits/bytes and everything inbetween converter)