Server Components

robAP

lets assume i'm going to build a server box for hosting online gaming. I'm not looking to host a 64 people party, but I am looking for the ability to have more than just a couple.

this will be working through the existing home cable internet.

so the questions come up as.

-with this kind of common connection to the outside world, what is a reasonable ammount of people that would be able to play at once....

-and in order, besides the cable modem connection, What are the primary components that affect the speed of the server in handling a multi-player environment? is the memory most valuable in keepign the server fast? or is a fast honkin chip more valuable?

and in case these thigns dont make a difference in the long run.....just how much is a faster-than-cable connection into a house run?

(i'm hoping to get all this information into one thread here. as theres alot but its widely strung out among many many other posts and threads in varying sections.)

well if you're talking connections, first any cable connection into a house works like this you have 3/4 of your bandwith for download, which is good for anything BUT what you need.Everyone is getting cable cause you can download faster. That's good, but if you want peoples to like your srever, it has to be the other way around they have to be able to get info or data as fast as you can give them. so 3/4 upload and a bit for DL

So you have to call your cable provider and ask for a server connection, which is a lot more than a regular home one. :(

and thats where hosting companies have a way to solve your problems for $$......hmmm.....

so given the limitations of the regular home cable...(3/4 DL)...how many people can still run in the server somewhat comfortably? i want people to like it.....BUT.....only enough people to keep things nice and likeable. too many and horrible lag ensues.