Home

swifty11212

ok, i got verizon 3.0 mbs dsl for a while now, since im the only one at home who uses the dsl often, i want to make my computer use as much bandwidth as possible. can it be done? or am i set back due to my 10/100mbs network and winblows?

re read your own post....

3mb is less than 10 mb and way less than 100 mb...

you aren't and won't even get close to your network being the bottleneck...

and if you are the only one using it...you will get all available...

There are some tweaks.. but I never saw any difference using them

Well, you have a 3.0Mbps connection and utilizing the bandwidth provided. You will not download data at 10 or 100Mbps; 10/100Mbps is good for home networks transfering large files among systems on the network. If you are transferring movies, games, etc, go for a 1Gbps network. B)

uncapping is illegal....

How are you testing your speed?

If you are getting slow speed all the time...call the ISP...

I was getting very slow cable speeds.... a guy came out and it turned out that the cable from the pole out back to the house was bad... they replaced that the next day and poof... My speeds increased

uncapping is illegal....

How are you testing your speed?

If you are getting slow speed all the time...call the ISP...

I was getting very slow cable speeds.... a guy came out and it turned out that the cable from the pole out back to the house was bad...  they replaced that the next day and poof...  My speeds increased

405833[/snapback]

it's not TOTALLY illegal...AFAIK (:D) the isp will give you warnings, and then eventually maybe suspend your account. but i wouldn't know anyways :D

there's really no accurate way to test your speed. i mean, you may just be on a slow server or something. plus... 150kb/s is not bad for 1.5mbit/s.

You should be getting speeds far better than that, considerin you have a 1.5 Mbps connection. I have a similar connection at home and I routinely get an average of 300 to 400 kbps downloads. It can dip below that, but that's only the site's fault, not the connection. In fact, I've seen my connection hit 1 Mbps in some downloads. I suggest you call the cable company and let them know that you're getting really slow speeds.

Of course, if you live in a neighborhood with lots of people using cable, then that could also be the cause of the slow speed. Run this test, see how it goes.

http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.dir

ugh, im so tired of downloading files at an average of 170 kbps.. isnt there a way to uncap it to download at its full potential of 1.5 mbps? i know some cable users can uncap theirs with some motorola cable modem.

405812[/snapback]

Do you mean 170KBps or 170Kbps? There is a difference. The first is kilobytes and the second is kilobits. If you are downloading at 170Kilobytes per second, then you are basically at the full potential of your 1.5Mb(bit)ps connection.

There are 8 bits in a byte, so 1500kilobits(1.5megabits) divided by 8 bits equals 187KB. You are already at 170, and the 187 is the theoretical speed, not the real world speed.