Need A Labtop For School

OCit

i know im going to get shot for saying this but sence your not playing games

ibook??

i've used them and there great for what you are looking for plus i LOVE the look that all of apples products have (i dont use and mac and dont want a mac!!!

laBtop=desktop replacement aka aleinware or any gameing labtop

laPtop=midrange low graphic games (cs half life............) and movies and stuf like that

notebook=business wordprocessor, powerpoint, wifi, dvd's, stuff like that

ahh cool thanks for clearing that up, i've been reading the whole of the post thinking none of u guys could spell!

I have good things about centrino laptops, and they are certainly very thin. I work for the IT dept at my school and the guys in there say that acers are hunks of **** apparently they try and make too many too quickly so they are not all terribly good quality.

IBM's are supposed to be good, but u might have to be quick, IBM have just sold their personal computer division!

Ummm ya I actually REALLY considered an IBook but a tech guy told me only to get one if im into media stuff, which im not really, so no rela point. But yes i must agree that i LOVE the looks...and yes i want a laPtop...lol...jsut CS is fine, main concerns r portability first, then performance...so i think i might get a vaio...hmm, any other input, thanks so much already...

Ted

Personally, if you want the opinion of lots of people who specialize in notebooks, go to notebookforums.com and ask around there. Even though I don't like dell as a company, I love my I9200. It has a 17in screen but only weighs around 7lbs; it also has the MR9700 which runs about as fast as the 9700 pro. To me, this laptop is portable, but I also have 2 different types of carrying cases to bring this beast around with me.

My dad, on the other hand, has a 12.1 sony that he swears by. It has a MR9200 on it and can't really play any new games, but it is ultra mobile. Personally, I would get a centrino laptop because they're small and have great battery life (for me, I get around 2hrs of gaming or 4.5 hrs of typing on my laptop). If you're really considering a dell, they always have good coupons (like they had a $500 off $1500 system)

• 2 weeks later...

Ya i browsed over there they have a lot of good info. Just one question: when do people think sonoma will be implemented with a lot of companies? I really like the ACer travelmate 8100 but want more options. When do you think would be a good time to buy a lappy? How long should i wait for performance to go up with new platform and price to go down? Thanks,

Ted

I've had 2 HP/Compaqs, and I really like my newest one. Its a nw8000 with 7200rpm HD, 1.6GHz P4-M, and ati fire GL T2 graphics its got a 15" screen and will do 1600x1200 & the battery life is great. However, its like 1.5 or 2 inches thick...so its not the tinyest laptop there is. But i think the performance is a great tradeoff for its size

Edited by sdy284

i personally do not recommend labtops.  Laptops are much better investments.  You may also want to consider a notebook.

405827[/snapback]

I have a lot of notebooks that I've accumulated over the years and I'll be happy to sell you one real cheap.

When I say "notebooks" I mean things with paper in them, not anything electronic.