New To Building Pc'

Guest Poopsicle Boy

Guest Poopsicle Boy

new to building pc's i love playing on them though. i play cs but i bought hl2, cant play on my current GATEWAY peice of crap... also want to get World of Warcraft. and i DO intend to overclock this machine. - tell me what you think. - ALL PRICED OUT AT NEWEGG.COM-

CHAINTECH NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU, Model "VNF4/Ultra" -RETAIL - $129.00

AMD Athlon 64 3400+, 512k L2 Cache, The Only 64-bit Windows Compatible Processor - Retail - $225.00

Geil Ultra Series Value Dual Channel 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 w/ Blue Heatspreader - Retail - $154.50

XFX nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, Dual DVI/TV-Out, PCI-E, Model "PVT45GUD" -RETAIL - $495.50

NEC 16X Double Layer DVD

Edited by Poopsicle Boy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd get a more reputable PSU from the likes of Enermax, Antec, Thermaltake....a 550W PSU for $60 can't be that good.

and maybe look @ the watercooling stuff from Swiftech

Edited by sdy284

Guest Poopsicle Boy
i'd get a more reputable PSU from the likes of Enermax, Antec, Thermaltake....a 550W PSU for $60 can't be that good.

398410[/snapback]

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc....-182-010&DEPA=0 heres the link to it tell me what you think. its high powered and cheap it was my first choice but i wouldnt know so tell me what you think of it.

for the processor,i would recommend the 3200+ instead of the 3400+ because the 3200+ overclocks just as much and its cheaper. mine is running at 2.7Ghz right now. If you want to overclock, make sure u get a reputable PSU that will have stable voltages. Antec's are good. I like my Ultra X-Connect 500W. If you want to overclock, u also want to go w/ some good TCCD ram. Value Ram will only give you limited overclocks. If you want to save some money, (which seems to be what ur trying to do) dont bother with water cooling yet. a good air solution will do you just fine. A popular air solution is the XP-90 or XP-120 by thermalright. I built my RIG for only $1900. And $460 of that was just the graphics card so slimming down the price and still getting quality parts isnt too hard. Also, make sure u find the best prices using www.froogle.com and www.pricewatch.com . Oh, and check www.resellerratings.com to make sure the vendor is a good one. good luck w/ ur build. :)

Well, alot of people seem to like G. Skill and PDP i think. I have the OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev2 and it is great. I think mine can hit about 290Mhz FSB. However, its like $270 for a 1Gb kit. Fact is, when it comes to overclocking, there are just some things you cant skimp on. I think if you go w/ any TCCD based RAM, you should be good. A good place to find reviews on RAM would be www.anandtech.com . I would recommend the OCZ to anyone who wants to overclock, but its not exactly the cheapest stuff lol.

Actually, i wouldnt recomend that enermax in the post above because it only has like 16Amps on the 12v rail. i think my Ultra has like 34Amps. The more you have, the more you can run on it.

Guest Poopsicle Boy
Actually, i wouldnt recomend that enermax in the post above because it only has like 16Amps on the 12v rail. i think my Ultra has like 34Amps. The more you have, the more you can run on it.

398424[/snapback]

the psu i had in my original statement has 34amps on the 12v rail aswell or is it that its a bad brand?

sure it'll supply 34 amps, if its like 40F in the room. Often times the off-brand PSU's are rated for "optimum" conditions, and cannot supply their advertised output, both watts and amps, under full load, or poor power conditions

well, when it comes to power supplys, you get what you pay for. you need a good amount of amps on the 12v rail but you also want it from a reputable brand. non reputable brands usually dont do what they say they do. like they might say they run at 500W, but really they only spike to 500W occasionally. Reputable brands like antec and stuff actually do what they say. I've never really heard of anyone using a rosewill psu. you could always look for reviews online and see how they do but just remember, you get what you pay for.

EDIT: Although i like my X-Connect by Ultra, the only problem i have is i dont like the cables. they look cool but are impossible to hide. Since i have alot to plug in, it makes it look cluttered. However my computer is running very stable so at least it runs good.