Aa Vs Af

well i'm trying to find the perfect balance between eye candy and the important frames in cs:s, so i'm wondering what's more taxing for the card to handle? AA or AF?

i currently play @ 1280x960 with 4x/4x and i see slowdowns in huge firefights or in 40person maps. some people i talked to with nice cards like 9800 pros and up say they dont even use AA or AF. but dang..why have such a nice card if you don't use the eyecandy?

Yup AA is the killer. AF by itself is not so bad, but lots of AA + lots of AF can drag you right down. Try 2xAA 8XAF if you have to keep the frames (and the frags!) up.

why have such a nice card if you don't use the eyecandy?

I couldn't agree more.

Maybe they don't use it becouse their cards aren't powerfull enough to do it. I don't use AA until i reach 1280x1024 rezolution and if the game still runs fast enough on that rez i use AA, rare games can run smoothly with 1280x1024 AND AA.

like i said, i asked ppl with 9800pros and up. they can definatly handle it.

in hl2, i run 6x/8x pretty smooth @ 1280x1024, but definatly see slow down at high action parts. but dang..its just so beautiful.

Edited by tharealmegaman

i run 8xAF in CS:S and HL2, 4xAA, all high details, 1280x1024 most of the time......of course, if i join a server that has some issues, i'll drop the AA to 2x as it seems to make the lag jumps not as bad, but as far as running the game, it does it flawlessly, can run 16x AF, 2x AA no problem, but the extra AF doesn't seem to make a difference, but as far as which makes the biggest hit on performance.....AA for sure

if you upgraded your cpu/mobo you would have a much better experience

like i said, i asked ppl with 9800pros and up.  they can definatly handle it.

in hl2, i run 6x/8x pretty smooth @ 1280x1024, but definatly see slow down at high action parts.  but dang..its just so beautiful.

396677[/snapback]

Imagine 4x/16x at 1600x1200 and 95FPS. :D

like i said, i asked ppl with 9800pros and up.  they can definatly handle it.

in hl2, i run 6x/8x pretty smooth @ 1280x1024, but definatly see slow down at high action parts.  but dang..its just so beautiful.

396677[/snapback]

I run HL2 at 6x AA & 16x AF, with everything maXed out, and I get 50-100 FPS ^_^

Looks SO good!!

I love it ^_^

But then I hav got an X800XT PE, so I would eXPect it to handle everything at max!

yeh you better for the price right? hahah. high5 to valve for making a beautiful game.

i get about 30-60fps on the settings i mentioned. its funny tho because even tho i see the screen lag, it'll still say something like 55..further proof of the importance of the cpu and ram.

Edited by tharealmegaman