Xp-120 On An Msi K8n Neo2

I just fixed a xp 120 on my msi k8n neo 2 board, fits, dare I say it easily, but quite tight! Just read the instructions on how to do it on page one of this thread. The sink covers dim 1 and 2, but you can still get ram in and out of there without removing the heatsink, just a little more fidley!

Edited by scoobdoo

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Ok, after a while of working with the xp120 and a k8n neo2, I have gotten some interesting temps with modifications (hee hee). My idle with an fx-53 is sitting at 29c with fans at full blast. And 34c or so, with low low fan speed. At full load for 10 mins I get 38c with low low fan speed and 34c with fans full blast. Anybody else getting this? I have a whole bunch of pics of this system which I will post soon. I didn't rely on the mobo temp sensor since it's way off. BIOS flash didn't help any. The temp keeps jumping around wildly and even case temp is way off. 10c is quite a bit and everyone already knows the mobo is unreliable as far as the sensors go. It was a pain to install a sensor on the bottom of this thing so it's not directly inbetween the cpu and heatsink. Off by a hair so the cpu fits flat up against the heatsink without raising up because of the sensor thickness. It's darn close to being inbetween, so I don't know how much that affects the temp. Probably not much because copper conducts so well. my video chipset sensors read exactly the same as mine does and it's a poor conductive material mounted in the same fashion as the first sensor.

What was neat was, this thing has a copper bottom to it! I was surprised when I started shaving it down to a shine. So now mine has a completely copper connection instead of that nickel plating crap. Conducts better anyway. I have pics of this too. The arctic silver 5 may have to set for a few days to get better temps. It's only been a few hours since it has been running. At least, that's what I hear about this stuff. Takes about a week or so to really settle. Anyway, lets hear some temps!!!

And no, I didn't overclock. I'll post all this stuff soon on my website.

• 2 weeks later...

hey all,

i recently bought an A64 3000+, and a K8N Neo2 Platinum. sofar i'm only using the OEM sink and the lousy thermal pad ;) ive got it running @ 2.2 up from 1.8 stock. with a 5% overvolt 1.45vcore :) idle temp: 34-36c ambient: 27-28c. load: 48c ambient: 30c. i'm quite shocked for a OEM jobby ! when my pc "4200" gets here. i'' be cranking this thing up to atleast 2.5. can anyone with big oc's tell me how well the xp90/120's work for big overclocks .. cause im seeing not that great performance with even stock machines ?

My OC isn't that great, but I have my 3200+ clocked at 2.4ghz with idle temps at 35-37C and load temps from 41-43C; my ambient temp is around 28C. I'm using a thermal diode that's placed next to my proc and not the neo2 temp sensor so I know that my temps are accurate!

Honestly, I preferred to go the quiet route and used a TT blue eye and its really quiet for the temps that I'm getting. I also have it hooked up to a adjustable fan speed header on my psu so the thing doesn't run at full speed unless my power load gets high. I'm not too sure what the actual temp would be if I had it hooked up straight to the main power, but I'm sure that my temps would drop some more. Get the XP-120, you won't be disappointed!

I just installed the XP-90 on my Neo2 yesterday,

it took me half an hour, easy though.

404416[/snapback]

Same here but it took me like 15 minutes.Man! those clips really put pressure on that chip :O i really tought something wasn't right with mine.But after a good examination of the base and clip, that was it, but i still cant beleive the pressure exerted on the chip :huh:

yeah i fit the xp-120 on the msi neo2 real easily... there is one cap that needs to be bent so just bend it a couple of degrees and as you put the h/s on it will push for the needed space its fine and acording to the msi corecenter its at 40*C not underload

Ugh.... I'm still disappointed with the MB sensor readings. I've got accurate temps with my own sensor close to the CPU. From almost everyone speaking about the incorrect readings, you'd think they would come out with a BIOS fix that actually works. The last one just stopped a little jumping around, that's all I saw. Still high readings though. Mine says 50C-51C between low and high loads, so WTF? It doesn't adjust very much even when I make sure the fans are turned way down intentionally making the heat rise. I saw other pictures showing the same temps. Honestly, just look at your reading and subtract about 10C. Mine shows as far as 14C off. Case temps are 25C. CPU at 34C. Install a probe yourself. Might be difficult with the xp-120. I have mine installed from the side on the bottom of the HS off center from the CPU but close enough (About 1mm away from processor contact. With copper instead of nickel plating, it helps with better readings. You can do this with a good lapping.) Don't install between the HS and CPU or from the far end otherwise it gets pinched with the pressure on the chip or cuts into the wires on the ZIFF socket when fitting this beast in. I ruined 2 sensors figuring out the best way.

About the MBM, if you are on a 939 MBM dosn't work with nforce 3 or 4.Right before MBM stopped updating it's stuff they just did nforce2 so nforce 3 and 4 will simply not work properly

We have to say goodbye to MBM :glare:

Just in case some peoples still rely on MBM :bah:

Edited by kobalt