Raid 0 Slower Than Ide?

OptikaliLLusion

With raid 0 windows XP pro loads up a tiny bit faster compared to a single drive. Not all applications/games/OS/etc. will benefit from raid 0. As far as stripe size, you might see a difference in benches, but not that much.

Edit: check out this article over at Anandtech

Edited by lilkev715

Video editing usually benefits from raid 0. I am not sure about photoshop/CAD though. Raid 0 will pull high numbers in benchmarks like HD tach, but in real world usage your milage may vary. All I know is that when i defrag my HD it defrags a lot faster in raid 0.

Plus, you also have to remember that your silicon image raid controller is on the highly congested PCI bus. If it had its own dedicated bus overall performance would probably increase.

Edited by lilkev715

You do have a performance gain over an ide drive but the silicon image controller sucks on the Infinity. On mine with a 2500 it would take about 1 pass on a new install then get to about 3.5 after loading up all my stuff.

Oops brainfart!

Edited by ccokeman

I'm running raid-0 36gb raptors, and I love them. I went from a single 40gb 2mb cache ide to 1 raptor, and that was a HUGE improvement, then I went from that single to 2 in raid-0 with 32k stripe size, and xp loads a few seconds faster, but I see the biggest difference in load times on games, photoshop (about 3 seconds fully loaded after clicking icon), and autocad, inventor 8 etc.