Prescott And Northwood?

i read somethig a whiel ago, that the even light gameing, the presscots throttle themselfs. and run at DAngerously high temps, you could get a northwood get better performance at WAY better temps.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you dont really care about overcloking. just get prescott. My friends has an Abit with PCI express with a 2.8 Ghz prescott. He's currentyly running the same temp i am with intel hs and fan. but change the hs and fan. the intel fan is slowing down.

Northwood is getting less because of the fact that prescott is out. I suggest you wait. because new CPU is coming out. "Bigred" says that newer sockets will coe out. I suggest you wait. If not northwood or prescott is your choice.

As for your requriements. i suggest you get Prescott with Abit motherboard. You can choose between pci or pci express. You can get prescott because u dont plan to OC or anything. (NOTE**Change your heatsink too. you can overheeat. Also if you want to run cool. Try looking for 120mm fan intake and exhaust)

edit* if you want new technology go AMD 64. 64 bit and its awesome. I'll be goign 64bit next year.

Edited by littleaznkid

• 2 months later...

intel ceased production of the northwood because it overclocks higher on a lower stock speed. let say a 2.4ghz woody can go as far as 3.2 or 3.4ghz while pressy oc's less on stock cooling etc. AND principally, woody is more costly to produce than the prescott cores.. the .13 tech of woody compared to .90 tech of pressy has a big difference in the cost of production.

BOTTOMLINE: i can buy a 2.4 woody and oc it to 3.4 with a 1ghz diff and a BIG price difference, while IF i buy a 3.0 pressy and ONLY can oc stable to 3.6 or 600mhz oc.. the price to performance ratio is different.

secondly, primary aim of business is to earn profit, now will you produce northwood which cost more in producing than a pressy core which is lesser cost to produce and in the market they both price the same?