Antilaising And Vertical Sync

The_WRATH

can anyone tell me what or how does this benefit to my gaming and what does it really do, because ive heard that v sync should be turned off and that antilaiasing isnt good to turn on if you dont got a good card

thanks

It depends on the game really. Anti alaising makes edges of objects smoother instead of jaggy...I usually run 4xAA in most games and it looks awesome...The vsync depends on the game, personally i prefer it on. I ran some tests last week using FRAPS and the avg fps were the same with vsync on and without it. The only thing that changes is the maximum speed, but there is a cost. You will see tearing accross the screen without it, which sucks! :rolleyes:

they make things prettier. Antilaising makes lines and edges that are at an angle smoother. For example, when you see a light post, the pixels that make up the edge will probably look like stairs. Antilaising does some blurring and specialy stuff to make it appear as if it is a stratight line. If you pay attention to this kind of stuff, it does make a difference. It does have a hit on performance.

Vertical sync matches your framerate to the refresh rate of you monitor, if i understand correctly. This way there is no horizontal "tearing" of the rendered frames, so that it looks cleaner. So if you monitor your fps, then you will notice that they won't go above 70fps or so (depending on you refresh rate). I play every game I have with vertical sync on, it makes the graphics look cleaner and smoother to me.

If you are benchmarking, then vertical sync is bad, because the fps won't go as high as they can.

oh alright then

oh yeah, im asking this because im trying to run half life 2 smoothly

how high should i go with the antilaising? i know it depends on my card, i got a g4 ti4800

im running 2x right now, but im not sure if i got vsync on, is there somewhere i can check if it is on?

the option for vertical sync should be in the graphics settings box, same place where you change AA, texture, and resolution settings. I wouldn't think that a Ti4800 could handle very much AA, just play with the settings until you find the combination that you like best.

what size monitor are you using and what resolution are you playing at?