Mobo And Hard Drive Compatibilty?

lucus

im gettin a Mach Speed V600DAP mobo that says it supports ata/133, i wanna put the raptor WD harddrive in that says the interface is serial ata/150, can i put this hard drve in? do i need something else to make this work ? please help

no, serial ata (sata,) uses a different connector and a different power connector, i'd suggest getting a different mobo, find one that supports sata, maybe the DFI Infinity NF2 Ultra, (search the forums, you'll find info herre.)

• 2 weeks later...

If it says serial ata then their shoudl be a serial plug somewhere... For example on the pic below the Orange plugs are serial and the large parrallel ones are in blue.. if you have the orange ones then you CAN support the WD HDD you want. Those are the SATA plugs

Its a good idea to generally look up the actual words behind all these acronyms flying around in today's world. I'm pretty sure that there are some sites that basically have a dictionary of technical acronyms so that you may learn more about each component. Learning more helps with smoothing out the process of building your own computer and helping others to do the same.

Good luck!

:foldon::typing:

If your MOBO doesn't have a SATA (Serial AT Attatchment) interface, dont worry, if you want, for about $30-75 you can pick up a PCI (Periphreal Component Interface, which is an external BUS form) SATA Adapter card, it plugs right into a PCI slot and from that you can plug in a SATA hard drive or any other SATA device to come out in the near future, like DVD burners, or the likes. If you're installing a brand new copy of Windows, and it doesn't see your hard drive, simply press the F key it tells you to for loading Third party SCSI drivers, then put in a 3 1/2 disk with the SATA controller card drivers on it and Voila, SATA. Hope that helps, and if you need any more info on SATA technology, just pm me and I will be more than glad to help.

Edited by nakedeif