Looking For A Tape Drive

bdylyzsouless

What kind of tape drive? What kind of connection? What kind of capacity are you looking for? Ex: DLT, LTO, DDS, IBM 3592; scsi, fibre channel, iscsi; 40gb, 100gb, 200 gb, etc

Whichever type you come up with, do you have some type of backup software picked out? Please done tell me you're gonna use tar or ntbackup...

Edited by cybergrunt69

geesh.. our schools does a 1tb TD backup.. and on top of that there xserver 1tb raid has redundency.. :)

well I work at a days inn in Pheonix. We have like 6 comps on the network. Anyway, we had a tech install a new tape drive but when I went to do the back up It wasn't even installed. I had to crack open the server and install myself. It still didn't work. So I'm looking for a seagate tape drive so I can install it myself. We use 8 gb travan tapes.

How much total size is your backup? If you're only using under 10GB, it should be worth your while to keep what you've got...

You should be able to get a good used DLT drive for just a couple hundred bucks - yes, you can get them a lot cheaper, but get one with a warranty. Tape solutions can quickly eat your entire budget on hardware alone, without taking tapes or software into the solution.

Try to get at least $2k for hardware, and then a separate pricelist for software licenses (server side upgrade, and client licenses). Most likely, you shouldn't need to stay with Seagate hardware - a good percentage of drives report as having seagate hardware anyway...

why don't you start with this: http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=488439

:)

well.. i think a good solution would be that linksys network storage drive.. then you can just back up to that.. and its pretty secure.. i dont like tape drives at all.. they are to IFFY.. dan stooks sat a 45gb Tape disk or whatever.. on top of some speekers. lol.. he was .. WAS the ast. network admin .. WAS lol

How much total size is your backup? If you're only using under 10GB, it should be worth your while to keep what you've got...

You should be able to get a good used DLT drive for just a couple hundred bucks - yes, you can get them a lot cheaper, but get one with a warranty. Tape solutions can quickly eat your entire budget on hardware alone, without taking tapes or software into the solution.

Try to get at least $2k for hardware, and then a separate pricelist for software licenses (server side upgrade, and client licenses). Most likely, you shouldn't need to stay with Seagate hardware - a good percentage of drives report as having seagate hardware anyway...

why don't you start with this: http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=488439

:)

are you kidding? I only need a drive. thats pretty pricey.

For $2000, why not just get a pair of Seagate 400Gb Drives and External drive enclosures (USB2.0)? That would give you almost a TB, but would be cheaper :D

AND more reliable....tape drives can get fugded up by magnetic things