Ntldr Missing?

r_g

when i boot up my (new) computer. just installed new mobo, i set the cdrom to boot device1, hd to device2, so it loads and then says NTLDR missing, press cntrl alt delete to restart. Then i restart same thing over and over again. I tried withot the xp boot cd but no luck. Any ideas?

also ive searched google not much help so far

Did you reinstall when you changed motherboards?

NTLDR = NT Loader. That error generally occurs when a major part of the system is changed without a reinstall.

Edited by Paranoid

Believe it or not, sometimes a memory module can cause this error, or a bad mouse. I had this happen to 2 friends of mine, 1 friend had 1 bad mem, 2nd had a bad mouse. So if anything try it out with just 1 stick of Ram (if you have 2 that is..)

Edited by silkster

k ill try the mem i got another stick, but could having the mouse/keyboard plugged into usb affect this?

also what if i load xp on another rig and then just go put it back onto mine before any drivers or stuff is put on would that work?

agh nothing wokred so far still no luck :(

Edited by r_g

I've had this problem before...if you have another machine put the hard drive as the master in there and make sure you thoroughly wipe the drive, then install xp as usual. Swap it across afterward. if this doesn't work then maybe you aren't getting the disk reformated properly. You can use knoppix and "fdisk" the drive inorder to make sure it's completely empty and then try the install.

I have some other things to try...but tell me how this goes if you haven't already given up on the drive.