Power Supply

My power supply fan is making some wierd noices lately. :huh: It sounds like the fan is

clicking. Does this mean my psu is dying or the fan is dying? Do i need to replace

somethin? The temps are fine at the moment.

TO DRAIN THE CAPACITORS:

Do at your own risk

Take a screw driver.. with a plastic handle. wrap a wire.. anti static wire would work. make sure it has contact on the front of the screw driver, then plug it into the grounder int eh wall, the botom prong. then tap each capacitor.. this will discharge it

after doing so, take out the fan, some may require snipping, if you want to try to repair it, grab some wd-40 or some other mechanical oil, and spray it into the back of the fan. To do this you need to take off the sticker and expose its innards. after spraying, spin it to get the oil in , put it back in, may require soldering, if wires were snipped , or if you have an atachment.. attach it back put cover back on and go :)

if you wish to replace fan, just do the smae thing :)

even if you unplug it from the mains, you might die if you touch the top of one of the fat capacitors... i wore those latex gloves that surgeons use while i operated on mine... just on the off-chance that a finger inadvertently touched something... but also i had it open while it was running, so it was live electric... UK electric *IS* more deadly than US electric... you can load so much more stuff on one ring-main over here... so i donned the gloves

edit: wd-40 isn't really a lubricant... machine oil would work, or axle grease, but wd-40 would only temporarily lubricate it... then it would deteriorate and not work as well

edit2: oh yeah, roadkill's discharge thing would work, i just couldn't do it cos mine was running, heh heh

edit: wd-40 isn't really a lubricant... machine oil would work, or axle grease, but wd-40 would only temporarily lubricate it... then it would deteriorate and not work as well

Man, I hate it when I have to agree with hardnrg :lol: but WD-40 will ruin the fan because it contains a pretty powerful solvent - it's great for taking road tar off your car! Using WD-40 will just dissolve whatever lubricant is left in your fan. Use a light weight oil as hardnrg said instead.