Video Cutting Out During Games?

General Lee

I am playing Total War: Rome and the video just quits working sometimes. The screen will go blank and I can hear small high pitched noises. Sometime the monitor will come back on say that my video card is resetting and other times I just have to reboot. I've got my X800 oc'ed. When it says it's resetting my card is it resetting it to the default or to the profile settings I have it set to (which is higher than the default. I'm using ATI tool)

I let the game set the video settings for itself and almost everything was set to high. I played the game last night for about 5 hours before it messed up the first time and this morning it's doing it every 20 minutes or so.

Any clue as to what's going on or what I could do to fix it?

Not sure about the temp of the card. I'll try to bring it back a little bit and I would imagine that would help. Are there any programs that will tell me the temp of the video card? I've got the newest drivers from the ATI website. Are there others that I should be using?

sounds very much like its overheating. the heatsink/fan on the x800 series doesn't look that efficient tbh. personally I would look into a artic silencer for it if you are overclocking. if the game runs fine at stock speeds at the resolution/filters you want just run it like that.

How much do you have it OCed and what program did you use to do it?

I run mine at 530mhz/500mhz (memory) and it works fine.

Any higher then that, though, and you can expect glitches. Also, be careful not to fry your card. I know how expensive those x800s are :P

Default is 475/450ish.