What Is The Key To Learning Linux?

kendellrt

So, what is the key to learning Linux? I have used Mandrake and Knoppix, but I still can't even figure out how to install and uninstall programs! Is it impossible to do this through the gui? I am not a command line fan.

The key is probably to learn how to use a search engine and spend some time reading :) It's usually worked for me with my FreeBSD problems. I can't help you much more than that for the obvious reason... I don't use either Mandrake or Knoppix.

EDIT: Some of these might help http://www.linuxlinks.com/Beginners/

chavalcito, the key to learning it is that you must relize it is Versitile.

Linux has thousands of people writing many different types of applications that are done in many different ways. There isn't a 'set' database for Linux that manages your applications. If you want a database to use, you need a package manager like slackwares pkgtool or mandrakes rpm tool, or even other things.

One thing you do need to relize is its all based from the command line. GUI's typically just run an application line in a command environment. So say in Mandrake you double click an RPM and it asks if you want to install it, you say yes and it will run something like "rpm -i [filename]" and it installs, and the rpm database is updated.

For windows it's easy, all software information is stored in one place because it's the only software manager availible for it since it comes with it. With linux, kde and gnome and all the other window managers can't have a set program it installs software with because distributions, programs, and other things install using different methods.

Mandrake has a nice RPM Program Manager though, for the typical linux newb :).

You should pick a distribution and read up on the best way to maintain it, and you should be all set on it...

Thanks for the replies everyone. I would like to learn it so that i can be more versitile myself. I have used knoppix because that way i don't have to partition and reinstall anything on my drive. I know that I can defrag and then run Madrake and it will partition it for me and i can run a dual boot. I just don't want to have to reformat everything to uninstall the linux distro.

Also, keep in mind: One characteristic I've found many Linux users share in common is a willingness to help. We've all been beginners. If you have any questions, bring them up here, or at another board, and I am sure you'll be pummeled with good information.

Learning to use Linux takes time, energy, and perseverence. But if your the type of person who likes the type of work that goes into linux (like me. :)), it is all worth it.

edit: Oh, and one last suggestion: Go all out. Create a partition for a distro like mandrake, and ban yourself from windows for at least 2 weeks. Much like learning a new language, you have to envelope yourself in the OS to truly learn it.

Edited by ravix