Vga Silencer Mod...

Waco

Well, some of you may have read my thread about how the fan on my VGA silencer seemed to be running backwards (all it did was create turbulence), and how the heatsink had the worst base I had ever seen.

Today I went to work on it, as I drove home yesterday from my dorm (4 hours of fun :rolleyes: ) and now I have my tools.

First, I took out the stupid stock fan completely. I sealed up the hole in the bottom with a small plastic plug, superglued into place. I then cut out the top of the origional fan shroud so the the opening was exactly 80mm wide (coincidentally, the outer casing is exactly 80 mm wide, so all I did was cut off the top lip). Then I cut an old fan chassis to fit onto the opening, and made a riser from an old poster tube (so the fan wouldn't just blow back on itself from being too close to a wall). I assembled it with Gorilla Glue, which just so happens to be the coolest stuff in the world.

While it was drying, I lapped the heatsink to a mirror finish. It literally looks like chrome. :D

When the glue was dry I test fit it with a normal 80mm case fan...and it works awesome! I can now feel a ton of air blowing out the exhaust in the back, as opposed to almost nothing before. Since the fan I am installing on this bad boy is a Vantec Tornado, it's going to cool this card down like crazy, as well as lowering my case temps even more. I am going to run the Tornado at 5 volts, so noise isn't going to be a concern, and from the design of the Tornado, it should be able to overcome the pressure in front of it as it pushes through the 90 degree turn right in front of it.

I don't have my digicam with me since I left it at my dorm, but when I get back I will post pics. It isn't the prettiest thing you've ever seen, but it will definately get the job done. :P

I'll probably blast a coat of black laquer onto the housing before I leave...hopefully that will reduce the ghettoness factor. :lol:

I think I'm going to make some sort of air da.m to divert the air around the corner...the hard edge is bothering me...

EDIT: apparently you can't type out da.m, or it comes out as crap. :lol:

Edited by Thewacokid

Sounds cool, but it's kinda hard to grasp without seeing it. Any chance of pics?

:blink: Did you read the post? I am going to take pics when I get back to my dorm, where my digicam is.

EDIT: Finished the air da.m. Made it from some old sticky-tac like stuff I used to seal up speaker enclosures. It holds shape and is relatively easy to form. The whole assembly is now more quiet as well as flowing a little better.

Edited by Thewacokid

So the 80mm is mounted directly over the gpu?

No...it's mounted directly above where the stock fan is. There is a ~2 inch extension from the base of where the old fan was to the new mounting point. It will be much easier to explain when I get back and take pictures. Just take my word on it for now that it looks like a frankenstein monster, and should perform like a true beast (especially compared to its past performance).

Just FYI...with the stock cooler I borrowed from a friend I hit 460 mhz on the core...with the vga silencer in its crippled condition I could only muster a measly 405. The heatsink was mounted properly, but the base was in really really bad condition (think just off the cnc machine, with no smoothing at all), and the fan was spinning the wrong direction creating turbulence with no air flow. I could literally burn myself on the heatsink after it had been running a while.

Hopefully this will sort things out and get me an even better oc. :P

Well I'm back at my dorm...I will take pics when the tornado comes in, becuase right now I'm about to head to class and the monster looks even worse with the crappy case fan I have on it now. :P

It works awesome though, almost silent and my 9800pro will now do 480 core. B)