P4 Vs. Sempron?

Truely the Semprons are matched against the Celerons so only by taking a High lvl Sempron vs a low lvl P4 are you going to see AMD win. a 3100 a hear is pretty good, may look into it for a folding farm. But the Socket A semprons loose to jsut about every P4 after 2.4C

no, sempron is to go against the celeron D chips and replace the duron. the socket A version was a way for AMD to deny the athlon xp was thier "low end" chip.

however people should look at the 754 sempron 3100+ against some P4's... for a low end chip it did a pretty decent job even against the P4 3.0e

When Socket 939 and 754 were released, AMD had to make a new low cost CPU to replace their old Socket A Duron line, the answer were the Semprons.  The Durons; Semprons predecessors served as the budget or value chip for many years 

Intel also released a new value or budget chip, the Celeron D; it is based on the Prescott core using 256kb of L2 Cache.  Currently Celerons run on Socket 478 motherboards, but most new Celeron Ds will be running on the LGA 775, this design is very unique, basically it has the pins on the motherboard instead of the CPU.

from my homework :D

Yeah even though it wasnt designed to be competitive with the P4s some of the sempron chips in benchmarks ive seen have performed VERY well. and since they tend to bench 2 x as good as a celeron D i say looks like AMD finally has a chance to defeat intel. They have high end (AMD 64), mid range (Athalon XP and to me the 3100+ sempron), and "value" chips (sempron line). Now i wonder why i chose intel, oh wait semprons wernt out when i started my shuttle, Athalons were too enpensive for my budget (not anymore), and i liked not haveing "performance ratings"

Yeah i say even though they are no P4 they certainly have potential.

don't forget the hurting the dual core opterons that are due out. from the first head to head with the 3.6ghz em64t xeon it looked like it gave the more expensive xeon a good run for king of the hill (kinda nice to see even in servers :) ).