Case Cutting

ok now I have a thermaltake xazer 2 case and i w

nt to put a window in it. Now this is an aluminum case,

atx (5-5.25 bays 2 floppy bays and 4 internal hdd bays)

and empty weighs 30 some lbs. So I am assuming that this is really heavy grade aluminum. What should ishould i use to cut into the case. i am mounting it with nuts and bolts so i need the cleanest cut possible. (also my dremmle wont cut it)

i cut plexi glass alot so that not a problem. what about one of thos metle nibblers?

The nibbler would work, but it's time consuming in the extreme. I'm with Stern Mystic on this one-Dremel tool and file. Or even the rotary grinding bit on the Dremel for cleaning up the rough cut, then filing.

If you have a bit of loose money, you could get one of those small grinder, you can get one from 40 to $65.

Beleive me there's nothing those small wonders cant cut and they make a darn good finishing job with the proper disk ;)

go to any hardware store and buy a multi purpose cutting bit, or something like that for a dremel, it looks like a drill bit and is extremely effective, that reminds me that if you absolutly need to you can cut it with a drill bit by making a hole with it and then tracing your pattern

i use a $12 jigsaw from walmart with the finest tooth saw blade i could find - real fine teeth - and just so you dont scratch the crap out of your case - get 2" wide masking tape and tape 2-3 layers across the whole surface of the metal - this way the metal angle rest/base wont scratch or gouge - plus it makes it a little quieter while cutting it also acts as a template - if you mess up the outline of where you are cutting - you can always peel the tape off and start over

if you do wind up using a dremmel and cutting disk - after you are done you gadda wash the case - graphite conducts electricity as does the alluminum (duh like i had to say that :S srry)

oh btw r_target - thats a killer sig pic u got there - is that an actual mod???

flaming2.gif