Casting A Fiberglass Panel..

Ok all,

I am trying some very original work on a case. I am creating the front panel out of fiberglass. I was going to use styrofoam to shape the panel piece, but I heard that the fiber glass would eat right through the foam. (which makes sense.) I have also heard that there is a type of spray that you can use to harden the foam, but would it make the foam dense enough to withstand fiberglass applications?

I have also thought about putting a paper mache, or platic bag over the foam cast, then applying the fiberglass to that.

I just haven't used fiberglass on enough project to know the limitations.

If anyone has any info or tips, please let me know..

Thanks

i learned from where i worked over the summer a couple years back

basically you scultp the shapes you want out of a strong material, even papaer mache that was renforced somehow would work but anywa we made a series of small holes and put a solid backing with a hole to put a vac hose on, heated up the plexi glass in the oven not sure what temp but hot enough to be pretty flexible put it on top of the mold hope it seals right turn on the vac and boom, molded

thats the short cheap way therea re other ways very similar but i dunno where to find em

Nice...

I have seen similar procedures.. I think I am going to go with a wire/paper mache frame and use fiberglass.

I did some reading here Fiber Glass Tutorial.

Really good stuff if your interested.. Really broke it down for me. I think i will have better luck with glass just coz there is no oven required. :)

I will definately have to try that plexi mold process.

Thanks

I've heard some peoples used plaster for molds using fiberglass but that as for small pieces but i guess you could use it for bigger ones "platre de paris" is a quicker setting plaster if you need it to be ;)