Basic Mouse Question

Phil

I'm about ready to throw the stupid mouse that came with my comp (generic wired mouse) against the wall. It gets all gummed up with fibrous material on the rollers that I painstakingly scrape off with a dental pic, in no time it's working like crap again. My question (yes it's dumb) is: do you guys have the same problem with a wired optical mouse? Is mouse cleaning inevitable with any kind of mouse?

OK, I'm an easy sell on this one, optical mouse it is! Just from what I've seen on this forum, I guess I'll go with a MS wired optical. I'm not looking for cutting edge, I need something that my "other user" won't pitch a fit about.

Thanks for the input, guys! WooHoo! new mouse!

I'm just getting a wired mouse. But a couple more dumb questions: Does it plug in to the same port as the ball mouse? Do I need a different pad? Thanks. And, Homer, no I won't be using it for gaming.

Well, I checked out previous threads, looked at reviews, and ordered a Logitech Click! Optical Mouse, I hope I didn't screw up. Also a fabric top pad, I don't have faith that the wood top on my desk is a good surface. Thanks for the input, guys!

you need some sort of textured surface for an optical mouse so it can "see" some sort of movement... like a shiny surface won't work very well, or at all, like my mate has a shiny wooden top to his desk and it goes crazy...

i have a desk with an MDF top (medium density fibre particle board) with a grey, smooth and slightly textured top... it's a cantilever desk that looks like it belongs in a draughtsman's workshop, haha... anyway, my mouse worked fine on the desk... for like general use... i just use a pad because i'm getting more serious at gaming now...