Question About Sk8v

I have read a lot of post on this motherboard and people are saying that you can only put Registered ECC Ram into it. But on the back of the box it said that you can put Registered or NonRegistered ram. I just want to clerify things up and see if i need to buy Registered Ram or can i used what i have now?

Yeah, the SK8V requires ECC ram. I'm not sure why it says you can use either on the box...well, I guess you could technically FIT either into the slots, but the socket 940 chips require ECC ram, so you only get once choice. That's the one and only drawback to the 940 chips...that ECC ram requirement.

good thought eva... however there's a minor detail left out.

asus originaly claimed that the sk8v and sk8n would be able to take the 939 chips (prior to the 939 release). IF this held true then the standard ram portion would be true, since the CPU determines the type of ram it NEEDS. since the 940 boards will not take a 939 chips, the board is stuck needed registered ECC ram for it's only supported cpus.

good thought eva... however there's a minor detail left out.

asus originaly claimed that the sk8v and sk8n would be able to take the 939 chips (prior to the 939 release). IF this held true then the standard ram portion would be true, since the CPU determines the type of ram it NEEDS. since the 940 boards will not take a 939 chips, the board is stuck needed registered ECC ram for it's only supported cpus.

lol What about if you trimmed of that extra pin :P

it will technially fit. it's just one corner pin missing. however it won't post at all. I tried :)

I have had a customer trim a pin off a 940 cpu and try to fit it in a 939 socket... you can only imagine where this one is going

it will technially fit. it's just one corner pin missing. however it won't post at all. I tried :)

I have had a customer trim a pin off a 940 cpu and try to fit it in a 939 socket... you can only imagine where this one is going

lol what a Dumb butt