Pc2700 Vs Pc3200 Ram On A 333mhz Fsb

So I wanna buy new RAM. I'll probably go with OCZ dual channel. I'm getting an ABIT NF7-S mobo, which supports the dual channel stuff.

I have a Barton 2500+ 333mhz FSB. What exactly is the relationship between my FSB and my memory. PC2700 is meant for FSB's of 333, is it not? Will I benefit (if I intend to overclock) if I buy the PC3200? At stock speeds on my PC, would the PC3200 run at the speed of PC2700 RAM? Will I even be able to use the PC3200 if my FSB is 333?

Sorry for the <erg> questions.

So I wanna buy new RAM. I'll probably go with OCZ dual channel. I'm getting an ABIT NF7-S mobo, which supports the dual channel stuff.

I have a Barton 2500+ 333mhz FSB. What exactly is the relationship between my FSB and my memory. PC2700 is meant for FSB's of 333, is it not? Will I benefit (if I intend to overclock) if I buy the PC3200? At stock speeds on my PC, would the PC3200 run at the speed of PC2700 RAM? Will I even be able to use the PC3200 if my FSB is 333?

Sorry for the <erg> questions.

Umm- that board will support DDR, but it is not dual channel. You'd have to upgrade to a socket 939 board and a new AMD 64 cpu or switch to a P4 to get dual channel.

not for AMD boards...i'm about 95% sure about that because all dual-channel boards have 4 slots...and that only has 3 (but 2 are seperate....hmmmmmm) but anyways...i don't think AMD really actually uses it

3-slot AMD-32 Nforce2 supports dual channel.

It still sucks compared to Intel though ;)

I'll probably go with OCZ dual channel

Good choice! The new OCZ PC3200EL Platinum or whatever that was reviewed a couple of days ago is awesome at 2-2-2-5, and OCZ in general makes some of the best ram around.

:foldon:

I'm going to retract my comment and admit I have no idea what I'm talking about :unsure:

I know I was told that the socket 754 did not support dual channel and that was only available on the socket 939 boards.

Maybe someone who knows for sure (BigRed maybe) can clear this up for us.

Sorry if I created some sonfusion here. :blink:

Nemo, you wound me.. I don't know for sure?

Here's an article which explains it exactly

cough :google: cough

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/nforce2-1vs2channels/

:smack::foldon:

Au contraire Mr. GTSticky sir. It is I who was mistaken. I never meant to question your veracity. It is just that I am a slow typist and your post was not yet there while I began my retraction. My humblest apologies, kind sir. :lol: